h e l l o , m y n a m e i s a z i a

h e l l o,  m y  n a m e  i s  a z i a

This is the book I wish I had when I was 12, 13, 14 and growing up until I was 20.

It's the stuff I wish I told my high school self. If I only knew other girls were going through the same sad, stupid, weird problems as me, I probably could've avoided a crap ton of damage on my self-esteem, worth, and mentality, and I wouldn't have felt like I was the only girl growing up with this problem.

It's terrifying – one of the most common phrases among girls is, "I feel so alone."

And to feel less alone, we read books about girls and their triumph, success stories, ladies who already climbed to the top and now share how they reached perfection, which gives us hope.

We end up reading stories about teenagers written by women in their late twenties or thirties (they're fresh on Facebook but old enough to have babies on purpose).

I'm tired of it. I want to read a story actually written by a teenager - I want to read a story when the girl is in the middle of it all – the mess, the love, the pain, the healing. I don't want a triumph story because perfection is never actually reached – I want a true story.

I want a story where the writer just GETS IT because she's just like me and not a parent of two with a picket white fence and Honda Civic.

That's why I'm confessing the most private parts of my teenage life to you – on the internet. I'm throwing the truth out there, the problems girls are scared to talk about in fear of being judged (I'm talking about the shit that keeps us up at night, everything between our weirdest and private thoughts as a lonely girl, the happiest and sickest feelings that make us ache with a strange vigor and our unforgiving insecurities).

In this story, there are parts to read when you are sad, when you are happy, when you need to laugh, when you feel broken, and when you need a sister to talk to.

My book is for the sad girls... so they can say, "Finally – I'm not the only one."

And my final wish is that hopefully, my story will save a girl from going through what I did,

Just to feel pretty.

Sincerely, AZIA