― seventeen.

izumi sighed, exiting the bathroom. she had gone straight to the hospital when her father had picked her up after school. knowing that her daughter didn't want to waste anymore time, he had already packed her clothes which she had just changed into.

the weather was beginning to get hotter so she wore a baggy yellow top that was tucked into a pair of loose, denim shorts.

izumi was fixing her belt when she heard a voice. "cute outfit."

"thanks." the girl absentmindedly mumbled. she suddenly stopped fiddling with the belt, her head shooting up as she stared at an awake felix who was sat up on the bed, with wide eyes. "oh my god." she whispered, unable to believe that he was awake.

"hello to you too." he weakly smiled, his voice hoarse. the girl dropped the bag that held her school clothes and immediately rushed over to felix, cupping his face first.

"are you seriously awake? i'm not dreaming, right?" with the lack of sleep izumi had, she wouldn't be surprised if she was imagining it all.

"no izumi, this is real." he smiled, placing a hand over hers. izumi's eyes pricked with tears as she carefully wrapped her arms around his neck, burying her head in his shoulder. 

"you have no idea how worried i was." she cried, a sob escaping her lips. felix rubbed her back, surprised at how much the girl was crying. he could barely even remember what had happened to him.

he suddenly pulled back, inspecting her tear stained face. "my mother hit you, are you okay? does it hurt?" he questioned, concern clear in his voice. izumi sniffled, frowning.

"yah, is this the time to be worrying about me? you've been asleep for three days, do you know how worrying that is? you had broken ribs and a stab wound, what the hell were you hiding from me, lee felix?" 

felix took her hands, seating her down next to him. "i'm sorry i kept it all from you, but it wasn't something that was easy to talk about." he explained.

"i understand you, but i'm still gonna be mad." izumi mumbled, sniffling. felix chuckled, ruffling her hair. she looked extremely cute when she was mad and crying. "oh, i should call the doctor first!" izumi was about to get up but felix pulled her back down.

"later, i just want to spend some time with you first." izumi blinked, surprised at how cute felix was when he was blushing. izumi contemplated whether it was a good idea, he should have a check up first before anything. 

"fine, but first you have to tell me what situation you're in. who exactly is your mother and who was that man?" izumi questioned. felix sighed, fiddling with izumi's fingers as he avoided her gaze.

"that was my step-father. my real father left after he found out my mother was pregnant with me and like any other tragic story, my mother blamed me for everything. i couldn't be perfect to her, i was simply a burden that she would gladly kill. that day we argued, i went home pretty angry at myself." felix sighed, closing his eyes as vivid memories of that day came back to him. "i cursed at my step-father and my mother got angry at me, telling me that i should be grateful for all he's done."

izumi intertwined their fingers, giving his hand a reassuring squeeze as he struggled to speak. "then he punched me. i should've fought back, but he was much more built than me and i'm pretty short." felix joked, opening his eyes to see izumi's reaction. he cleared his throat awkwardly after seeing how upset she looked. "before you came, i think i was knocked out for a while, as soon as i heard your voice, i just suddenly realised what was going on. and then, well you know what happened after."

izumi nodded, silence enveloping the two. there was nothing either of them could say at that moment. "you're important to me felix." she mumbled, staring at their intertwined hands. "when i saw you in that state on the floor, the only thought that went through my head was the fact that i never told you how much you've impacted my life."

felix cracked a small smile, the words warming his heart. "there you go saying the right things at the right time again." he chuckled. izumi smiled, happy to hear that she was able to comfort him.

"oh!" izumi looked up, remembering something. "i should get the doctor now, you need a proper check up." izumi stood up from the bed, releasing felix's hand.

"ugh, do i have to?" he whined, pouting his lips. 

"yes, it won't take that long. i'll be back in a sec." izumi gave him a reassuring smile before turning and leaving the room to find a doctor. 

"izumi can i talk to you?" izumi was surprised to find her father stood outside the room, waiting for her.

"oh, in a bit, felix-"

"this can't wait izumi, your timer is..." her father's eyes softened as he glanced up at her timer.

"is what?" izumi questioned, furrowing her eyebrows. by the sound of her father's voice, it definitely wasn't good news.

and izumi was right.

"you have less than a year left."