5- Bullies

The Story So Far:

Harry and Louis are now married and have adopted Olivia, an eleven-year-old. Zayn and Liam are together but not yet married. Cheyenne and Niall just had their wedding. Olivia is best friends with Adam. 

Olivia waited at her locker for Adam as per usual. The middle schoolers rushed past her, either to head home or to an afterschool activity. Olivia had invited Adam over after school to paint their nails. She texted her dads if she and Adam could walk over after school, and they both said yes. 

It wasn't usual that he wasn't there on time. His class wasn't much further away than Olivia's was, and they always met at her locker. She texted him, but the school had terrible reception. The text wouldn't send without service. With a worried look on her face, Olivia headed out into the courtyard to get enough signal to send her text. 

She didn't expect to hear shouting when she exited the school. The courtyard was usually a bit empty at this time, and it was except for the small crowd of boys off to the side. They were positioned almost on the side of the school as if they didn't want people seeing what they were doing. Olivia wished she could ignore the yelling, but she couldn't. 

She had watched her parents politely correct an employee at a store that Harry and Louis weren't her older brothers but her parents. She had gone to a workshop with her dads at a hair salon since they decided that they should know how to do Olivia's hair. The family of three walked into a salon filled with women, and Olivia noticed some of the stares. She heard some of the girls whispering about her. 

Her dads taught her always to be kind, but they also emphasized to protect the people you love. Her parents always defended a person in public who was being harassed. Louis and Harry did their best to help others, and Olivia would always follow their example. 

Olivia tried to convince herself that she had more courage and less anxiety as she slipped her phone into her backpack and made her way over to the crowd of boys. The shouting got louder as she got closer. 

"Are you even a real boy?"

"Last I checked, you don't wear skirts."

It was the last comment that made Olivia realize who the victim was. 

"No wonder your only friend is the girl raised by two faggots."

Olivia dropped her backpack to the ground and walked faster. She pushed past the first line of boys to see another boy holding Adam up against the brick wall of the school. Adam's eyes were wide. While Adam thought Olivia would cower down at the sight in front of her, she did something that even surprised herself. 

"Hey!" she yelled as she pushed the boy away from Adam. Olivia should have expected who it was. 

"Well, if it isn't your little girlfriend," Raymond replied as if it was a taunt. "You going to run away like a little pussy too?"

Olivia's voice didn't even shake. "Oh, I won't run. I just feel bad for you."

"Bad for me? What?" Raymond asked. Everyone standing there was quite confused as to why the small girl would feel bad for the bully. 

"I feel bad that your self-worth is really so low that you find the need to validate your masculinity like this," Olivia replied, trying to seem as harsh as possible. 

Raymond was almost more confused by her reply, but he was confident that what she said was something he should get angry about. Raymond responded the only way he knew how: with his fists. 

He swung once with his right hand, and Olivia was not prepared for it. His right hook connected with her left cheek. The momentum toppled Olivia onto the ground. There was an audible "ow" from the small crowd watching. Olivia had a moment to hold her hand against her stinging cheek before she decided that Raymond should probably get a reply back. 

Olivia full on tackled Raymond to the ground. She was not a large girl, but she was strong. Raymond was the standard boy with skinny arms and legs. Olivia was always in a sport and probably had more muscle than this boy. She had no problem holding down Raymond. The other boys were too scared to help him out because the look on Olivia's face was terrifying enough at that moment that no one else wanted to mess with her. 

"Touch Adam again, and I will have you running away from me like a little pussy," Olivia threatened Raymond as she did her best to intimidate some of the men in the action movies Olivia has seen with Louis. 

Olivia got off of Raymond, and the other boys grabbed their backpacks from the ground and stumbled away. No one thought that there was going to be a punch thrown, and no one knew that the little girl was going to fight back. Olivia watched Raymond and his crew leave. She knew from the look in Raymond's eye that he was not going to let this one slide. 

Olivia turned to Adam, and even he looked stunned. He stood where Raymond had left him with a surprised look on his face. Olivia rushed towards him and held him at arm's length. 

"Are you hurt? Did they hit you?"

"Y-you just threatened Raymond."

"Yeah? So what?"

"No one has stood up for me, and he's been bullying me since kindergarten..."

Olivia gave Adam a small smile. "We're friends, and that's what friends do for each other."

Adam raised his eyebrow. "Best friends?"

"Best friends."

The two walked side by side to the Styles' household. Adam felt safe being with Olivia, but Olivia felt a bit worried about the fact that her cheek was still tender to the touch. She's not sure how her dads would reply to a bruise on their daughter's face.

A/N

I'm so full of anxiety that I decided to do no real writing and just update gay fanfiction... go me... I wanted to write a real book to self-publish this summer but HA so not happening. 

xoxo Claire Marie