Chapter 11: A Lesson

Peter wasn't even sure if he was ready to watch them lower the casket into the freshly dug hole. The smell of dirt and rain was all he could smell but he didn't mind. Tony stood beside him holding the black umbrella above them both. They couldn't prolong the funeral anymore; even given the circumstances. The whole team was there with them; both for moral support and to protect the sobbing boy. Peter hadn't had time to think about reality for a while, it had been a nice break for him. But now reality hit him like a truck at full speed. He felt like his heart had been completely shattered, torn and then ripped from his chest. He didn't want to cry in front of the Avengers, he had tried his hardest to keep it together but once the casket was brought out and his beautiful aunt May laid there as pale as a ghost he suddenly couldn't stop the sobs from coming out. No one said a single word; even the wind refused to howl and the birds refused to sing. Everything was silent, everything but the pounding of the rain and Peter's heartbreaking sobs. The boy's tears continued even as the hole was filled and, Peter wasn't sure when, Tony had handed him the bouquet of flowers that Peter had told him were her favorite. Numbly he gently placed the perfectly wrapped flowers on the pedestal of her grave. He knew he was supposed to get up now but his legs refused to listen to him, so he simply sat there on his knees on the damp grass. It felt like yesterday that they had been making pancakes together to the music blaring and the smell of burnt toast hanging in the air. The fire alarm kept going off so much that May had finally just taken the batteries out and left it on the counter. The kitchen was a mess when they had finally made a decent amount of pancakes that hadn't ended up on the floor or had been burnt. The mix was everywhere and the burnt toast still lay forgotten in the toaster. Peter had made fun of May for having the mix all over herself; he still wasn't even sure how that much mix could have ended up on her. The day had started off so normal and it had ended so badly. "Kid..?" Tony's sudden voice broke him out of his trance and he slowly looked up at the man. Peter's eyes were swimming with grief and Tony had to try his hardest to make sure his eyes didn't tear over either. He needed to be strong for Peter. "It's time to go Pete..we've been here for nearly two hours bud," the man kneeled down and placed his hand on Peter's soaked shoulder, "we gotta get going." Peter just simply nodded, his voice long gone. Tony helped the boy to his feet and kept his arm around his shoulders as he began to direct him back to the car they had taken to get there. Once Peter and Tony were in the rest of the Avengers filed in silently, none of them spoke a word. Seeing the kid in so much pain had shocked them into silence. But mostly, they were silent because of Peter. He gave the group energy and hope and, seeing him like this, made them feel just as crappy as Peter was.

"Should we be worried?"

"No..he'll come around. He did last time."

"Last time you had distracted him Tony..."

"You know how I'm not good with these kind of things Pep.." Tony sighed once more as he dragged his hand down his face. Pepper had returned for the funeral and now they stood in the kitchen, Peter's untouched food still sitting on the island. This time Pepper was the one to sigh as she placed her mug of hot chocolate down.

"He hasn't eaten in days Tony. That's not healthy."

Tony sipped at his own drink, it was hot chocolate as well but when Pepper wasn't looking he had fixed in some of his whiskey. The last few days had been stressful to say the least, "You think I'm not worried too?" Another sip as he swallowed his anger, he didn't want to wake Peter who had finally succumbed to sleep. The boy wasn't sleeping well either. "The last thing I want to do is force feed the kid or worse end up putting him in the hospital because he refuses to eat. But at this rate.." he trailed off as he turned his gaze to Peter sleeping on the couch. He had thrown the blanket off again and he could see the sweat on his brow. He felt completely helpless. If he could take the pain away from Peter he would but he knew he couldn't.

"Do you know his favorite food..?" Pepper had broken her gaze from Peter as well. She was playing and tugging on her hair, a nervous habit of hers. "Maybe then he would at least eat something..?"

That was when a light bulb went off in his brain, he felt like slapping himself for being so stupid "I'm not sure of a favorite meal but I know a place that has his favorite snack."

Peter woke to a hand shaking him awake. He slowly opened his eyes to see Clint kneeling in front of him with a small smirk on his face. "Breakfast kiddo, and I think you're gonna like it," and with that said Clint quickly got up and practically skipped to the island. Rubbing his sunken eyes Peter sits up and turns towards the sound of laughing. All the Avengers were awake now and even Pepper was still here. A giant white box lay in the middle of the island and they all seemed to be waiting for him. Stiffly he pushes himself off the couch and slowly walks over to everyone. Tony grabs him softly by the shoulder and puts him right in front of the still closed box.

"I know it's been hard kiddo..but I hope this helps..?" He looks around at everyone for help with his words. The genius may be smart but not smart to expressing feelings and emotions. Peter simply stands there a bit shocked as everyone's gazes turns to him. Tony gently nudges him towards the box more, "Ya gonna open it kid? We're kinda starving here." Hesitatingly the boy slowly opens the box closing one eye and leaning back slightly as if expecting something to pop out and attack him. The minute he sees what's inside the box all breath leaves him. They were donuts. More importantly they were donuts from his and May's favorite doughnut shop. He felt tears prick at his eyes as his hand shakingly reaches out to the white doughnut with the brown frosting and sprinkles on top. He grabs it gently as if it was glass and he brings it towards himself, now holding it with two hands. He looks up to see everyone staring at him; their faces were unreadable to him. A small smile forms on his face as the tears finally spill over.

"You remembered..." and still with a smile on his face Peter finally takes a bite. And another, and another until suddenly the doughnut is gone within seconds. Tony couldn't help but smile as while as everyone began to reach for a doughnut. The genius had to admit the donuts were good but that wasn't why he was smiling. He was smiling because for the first time in two days, he had gotten Peter to eat.