Chapter 13. DRUNKIN' DREAMS

• Dedicated to Danielle Ribeiro

CHAPTER 13. DRUNKIN' DREAMS.

© 2010 Samantha Thomas.

Once at the hospital, and after, what felt like days in the ER waiting room, I got my own room. The staff took some blood samples and now we were just waiting back on the doctor and nurse to come and patch me up. Tiffany sat in the only available chair in the room tapping her foot on floor incessantly in an angry gesture. Her head was turned the opposite direction from mine not even bothering to acknowledge my presence. 

I was completely, totally and beyond drunk by this point, now that the alcohol had time work it's nasty magic on me. My hand throbbed, I could feel my heartbeat in my hand, and saw it in with my eyes. The ER's florescent lights were blinding and gave me a splitting headache an earthquake would be proud of.

I felt sick, like vomiting, but at the same time, I didn't care. I was given an ice pack, that I believe had now turned warm, I'm assuming because I had dropped it on the floor and never bothered to pick it up. The nurse just walked back in my room and had a cart with her. Then the nurse banged around in the rooms cabinets and drawers and came back with an arm full of supplies. She then set them atop the cart.

"I'm Maureen, your nurse. I'm going to be stitching your hand up now, alright?" I gave a loose nod and she continued, "Great. Let's have a look." 

She began unwrapping the gauze and pulling on all my sliced up fleshy bits.

"Fuck, that hurts! Ow. Ow... Ok you can stop now!" I yelped out like a stuck pig with each and every touch she gave.

"Listen, Samantha you have to stay still. You can't be thrashing about, your just making it worse. I need to clean this out. You have a lot of tiny shards of glass in here, that are still cutting away at you. I know that you said that you've had a drink tonight, but your blood levels say other wise. It looks like you've had quite a bit." 

At every word she spoke, she roughhoused me it seemed, I couldn't stop the shudders my body subjected us both too, and that only made her mad. "Are you going to be a problem? Or are you going to cooperate with me?" The devil woman in scrubs hissed.

"Well, what's option number two? Ok, Ok, no need for nasty looks! I'm sorry, I know you're just trying to do your job. I'll be good, promise." I said with a goofy grin.

She just looked at me for i'd say a good minute, before resuming. Tiff still hadn't spoken a word, but when Maureen was bitching me out, I saw that Tiff cocked an annoyed look my way. Maureen got up, and came back with a syringe the size of a fucking cucumber, with a satellite dish attached to the tip. And she was coming towards me. ME. "Oh no frickin' way! No NO! I'm not even playing, take that fucking cucumber and put it back in the garden you got it from!" I protested sharply, all the while trying to back crawl away.

"It's only saline solution, to clean out the wounds. Chill out. I'm not going to stick this one in you, just spray it on you, alright?" I calmed fractionally, but still distrusted. Turns out... she was right. She just squirted it on me, it was very, very uncomfortable but, just spray. Until I caught on to what she had just said... 

'I'm not going to stick you with this one' 

"Whoa, what's that mean? You are gonna stick me? What for? Haven't I been 'stuck' enough for one night?" She just looked up at me briefly, while she squirted away on my hand. It was disgusting watching my flesh weave, and flutter from the pressure of the clear liquid. I shuddered.

I had to lay back against the bed, I was entirely too light headed, and feeling far too queasy from all of that. Then she pulled out some blue paper and laid it across my hand, and then gathered more supplies. She came back with a small syringe and a small packet. She took the syringe to my hand and said quietly, "A little prick." And BAM! There went the pain, "OW!"