Author's Note

Welcome to the trilogy of the Life and Times of Daniel Ulysses Barrow. Three books tell the story of a  man burdened with another man's face.  He struggles to develop his own identity, in a world that is not his own. It's  an unusual love story, involving rejection, and eventually, redemption.  Born Of Fire, Forged in Ice and Tempered With Love are the stories of a man who should, by any measure, not exist.  Over and above the initial seed from Doctor Who's Journey's End which aired June 5th, 2009, and the characters of Doctor Who,  this is an original work with  original characters and plot that  are copyrighted to me, Cheryl Rosecrans

First, for those of you who have never watched the series, a bit of history to help you understand the background. I think you will find its importance helpful,  but you can enjoy the novel without ever seeing the show. 

Doctor Who is the longest-running science fiction story in television history. It hit the airwaves on November 23rd,1963.  If that date sounds at all familiar, it is the day John F Kennedy met his assassin.  It has been on television, radio and in print ever since.  It is the story of a human appearing alien known simply as the Doctor who travels the universe for fun, adventure, and to stop evil.  He has two hearts, and the ability to regenerate into a new man when he approaches death.  His home world  Gallifrey was lost in a great war. Only two men survived that war. One went on to wreck great havoc and the other made a difficult decision to save the universe by destroying his planet, effectively ending the war. The Doctor was that man.

To say that he is an emotional mine field is an understatement.  He travels through time and space in a ship called the T.A.R.D.I.S. or simply the TARDIS.  Time and Relative Dimension in Space.  From this has sprung the most in depth,  a wealth of fan fiction ever written.  More than a few were written by famous science fiction authors such as Mark Gattis and Neil Gaiman.  

Daniel's Story is different from most amateur FF stories of Doctor Who.  It springs from an episode that saw the accidental creation of the Doctor's pseudo son.  He arrived an exact physical copy, naked with all the memories of his Time Lord and human progenitors.  Son saves the universe from an invading force by committing genocide against the invaders only to be rejected, branded violent and kicked out of the universe to a parallel world with exactly three things, the clothes on his back, a tiny piece of coral to grow a new space ship and the Time Lord's girlfriend.  He is her consolation prize for being left behind by the man she loves.  

They are expected to go off and be happy as if nothing had happened.  Daniel doesn't even have his own name.  What he does have is a fierce determination to be real and the memory of how much that girl was loved. To him, that love feels real, but not to the grief-stricken, emotionally confused girl who must go on.   

Thus begins Daniel's journey to understanding his human-hood, with all its wonderful highs and devastating lows, and his role as the alternate universe's only known Time Lord. He is a brilliant geek who just wants to belong. He must discover everything from how food tastes and his body works to earning a living and having a home. What does it physically feel like to be hungry, wake up with a wet dream, get drunk or lose your virginity and still manage to look normal to the people around you? 

I hope you will follow his journey.  

Yes, elements of sci-fi adventure are thrown because it's fun to write and it keeps things from becoming too sappy.  He discovers the people in his memory have parallel equals in this new world. They. of course, have no idea who he should be.  There are references to an organisation called Torchwood that defends the Earth from aliens who provide the occasional mystery and threat. There are references to The Troubles, which was an attempt by a man to turn everyone into robots.  Thousands died and the original Doctor helped save them.  It is viewed on parallel Earth the same way that WW2 was viewed on our Earth. It is a minor plot point used to help develop a history for Daniel. 

One last word. I have made wonderful friends who have made this story so much better than I ever could have alone. One has beta'd, Brit picked and educated me on the canon of Doctor Who. She is a remarkable writer who crafts fan fiction for the adult. They are so good, you can close your eyes and see the story play out as if it were on the small screen. Her pen name is ThantosX49. Her real name is Carol. There is Whovian4ever who has helped me understand Rose far better than I did when I started this journey. She has acted as my cheerleader when something didn't make sense. Her sister Laurie helped me write the adult side of Daniel's private life. There is Hilary who is helping me edit these chapters. Daniel owes them so much and so do I.  They have become my friends, something I never expected when he popped in my head. This story is dedicated to them and their love of Doctor Who. I can not thank them enough.

The covers for the series was done by Thetennantmeister, a remarkable photographer in her own right. Please do not copy her images in any way.

Brief appearances   

The Doctor -- Last surviving Time Lord of Universe Prime

Donna Noble -- The Doctor's best friend/companion and accidental 'mother' to Daniel

Main Cast of Characters

Daniel -- human x Time Lord  meta-crisis with all the memories of his parents

Rose -- The Doctor's love interest

Jackie Tyler -- Rose's Mum  Stranded with her daughter on a parallel Earth

Pete Tyler -- Jackie's husband   Head of Torchwood  Millionaire CEO of the Vitex Corp.

Jake Simmonds --Torchwood Agent and Daniel's best friend

Don Nobel --  parallel Earth's version of Donna Noble

Adela Steuben -- German survivor of the war known as The Troubles.  She is Daniel's housekeeper and surrogate mum.

Nora Filson -- Interior Designer mother of a six-year-old learning disabled Robbie

Ian Filson -- Footballer abusive husband to Nora

Marcus Smith -- Neurosurgeon

Jan Harkness - biologist.