Prologue

"Hitori-san!" A loud child's cry echoed out into the bakery, followed by the sound of small pattering feet and a flash of blonde hair from around the kitchen corner. A young, six-year-old girl with two pigtails and bright, purple eyes peered into the humid kitchen that was illuminated brightly.

"Where did Mummy and Daddy go?" Her voice peaked in curiosity as she stared down the baker with what seemed to be an eerie look of indifference.

"They are on vacation in Japan right now, sweetie." The man known as Uncle Hitori replied with more hesitation than he wished. Hitori had a friendly but sharp complexion with a mop of dirty blonde hair and blue and grey eyes, speckled with the Suoh purple.

The little girl's stoic facial expression was replaced with a pout. She stepped foot into the kitchen, her hands behind her back.

"What happened to Tamaki?" She asked sadly to her uncle, who was currently putting a tray of gingerbread men into the oven. Heat blasted in Hitori's face, making a droplet of sweat run down the back of his neck.

He stopped and looked at the little girl with an indescribable gaze and thin pressed lips.

"Who is this Tamaki you're talking of. A school friend of yours?" He stood up, closed the oven with a click and brushed off his white chef's jacket, a cloud of cinnamon floating around the kitchen.

He was lying.

The blonde haired child furrowed her eyebrows, "my brother, no school friends of mine are Japanese." Her pout then changed to gritted teeth.

"I don't know who that is. Don't be silly Annette. Now instead of frolicking around the entrance come help me ice these gingerbread men." The baker motioned to a rack of cooled gingerbread.

"Of course, Uncle."

-

Who knew that those words could impact me so badly?

It made me feel so stupid, but year after year I realized he was lying. My parents never came back from Japan, leaving me abandoned with my only Uncle and Aunt. It was upsetting really, leaving me all alone in London. I learned to forgive and forget... But who can do either of these when you've been through a lot?

After working at my Uncle's bakery for years, I realized that I wanted to commandeer my own in Japan and when I turned 15, my wish came true. Hitori bought me a small corner shop in one of the outer districts of Tokyo where many people, both elder, and child could enjoy tea and cake after school and work.

Following my luck in securing a business, Ouran allowed me to enter on a few scholarships, so I took the next plane to Tokyo and moved into my own mansion.

So here I am standing in front of this ugly pink school, in an ugly yellow dress... And good lord.

What the hell have I gotten myself into?

[edited 2018.6.4]