i n t e r l u d e: sam

SAM STRETCHED HER bare legs out in front of her, cozy rays of sunshine enveloping her in a welcome embrace as she enjoyed her first official day of summer

SAM STRETCHED HER bare legs out in front of her, cozy rays of sunshine enveloping her in a welcome embrace as she enjoyed her first official day of summer. The rainy, downcast bustle of the Virginia Tech campus was behind her, shut out as she retreated to Claytor Lake. It was a tantalizing combination of deep crystalline waters and towering lush evergreens. Sam was brainstorming her new novel on the waterfront when her musing was cut short by Melissa's piercing squeal.

She looked over her shoulder to find her friend draped over Jamal's shoulders, playfully batting at him with minuscule fists that did nothing to harm the taekwondo master.

"Put me down," Melissa said breathlessly, face turning scarlet as the blood began to pool in her head.

Jamal walked down the pier, Melissa continuing her pleas. "Down!" she yelled.

"Alright," he said, technically complying as he dropped her into the lake, disturbing the calm stillness of the water.

Sam laughed at her childish friends as Melissa came up for air, seething.

Jamal looked at her pityingly. "It looks cold in there."

"Fuck you."

"How do you guys like your Bloody Marys?"

They turned to Jonathan, who was calling out to them through the open kitchen window.

"Bloody Marys? Is he serious?" Sam asked.

"We're good," Jamal said.

"Just bring the straight vodka," Melissa called out, pulling herself back onto the pier.

He came out to join them, the weighty bottle in his hand quickly snatched away by Melissa.

Jonathan grimaced. "Starting the summer off with a bang, are we?"

"Always," Melissa said. She joined Sam on the reclining wicker chair, offering her the bottle, which Sam declined.

"Not in the mood to get drunk."

"Can't relate." Melissa held the bottle up like it was a well earned prize. "Something's gotta help me forget the final I bombed today."

"At least it's over."

She hummed in agreement. "May the sun stay up forever, and may this bottle never end."

There was a chorus of amens and Sam revelled in the picturesque surroundings, a week of sun, freshwater and downtime awaiting her. Or so she thought.

 Or so she thought