SIXTEEN

⌠TEMPORARY GOODBYE⌡❝like waking up from a fantasyin all that's left is you and me

TEMPORARY GOODBYE
like waking up from a fantasy
in all that's left is you and me.❞

⇣⇣⇣

SEVEN MONTHS PRIOR THE WARFARE.

EVANGELINE RYLE HAD died several times, she was practically numb to it.

It was around ten-thirty in the morning, on Saturday more precisely, when she barely took a hold of what life was. Her pulse or heartbeat was hardly found again if it wasn't for Vision who came across her promptly. After the sound of a glass smacked the floor, he knew something was wrong and he was right the moment F.R.I.D.A.Y alerted the compound. None of the remaining Avengers was in the building, considering they were in an important meeting.

It was also the day Vision was supposed to show her a new humanely form of him, they had created a close bond as teammates for the past few months, been there to remind each other that everything would fall back to normal, especially learning that both Peter and Wanda would stop at nothing if it involved the right thing. Vision also taught her to accept herself as she was, while Evangeline constantly admonished him that everyone and everything deserved to feel compassion even for the likes of him.

And to see Evangeline curled up in pain on the floor while holding her head incredibly perturbed himself. Moreover, Vision could not do something to take away the pain. She had gone through a lot of obstacles and the last thing everyone wanted was that she howled in so much agony for the umpteenth time.

Jillian stepped out of the ER after seemed like an eternity, exhaling a heavy breath before she faced the petulant people outside the room. "Exactly what I said a few months ago."

Peter was the first to stand up with red eyes and mildly swollen. He secretly had shed tears a couple of times while praying to anyone in charge above to let Evangeline live. Peter wasn't ready to lose her, hell, he never would. "Is — Is she okay?"

Jillian paused, giving him an apologetic smile. "Right now? We can only hope."

"Is he allowed to see her?" Tony questioned as he swallowed hard, clearly wanted to talk about Evangeline's condition without him present. Seeing Peter tremendously devastated like this was enough to crush his heart, he didn't need to see his expression when he heard there was a contingency her heart might stop tomorrow. Once Jillian nodded in confirmation, Rhodes immediately took over and led the boy inside. "Explain."

"There were two outcomes when Eva had her first surgery, either she didn't survive or she lived but with the possibility of brain damage," Jillian elaborated. "She survived, and that left us the latter outcome."

"So, you mean, she's—" Pepper couldn't even finish her sentence as her next words stagnated in her esophagus. "Can you — Can you do something?"