Chapter 7

Stiles' POV

I don't know why I really care. I don't really care. That's a lie. I do care. I just don't know why. I guess I just have to sit and listen. I hope this story isn't long, or it's going to be really hard not to talk... Derek is about to start his story again after out little conflict. He really doesn't look happy.

"Look, you really don't have to tell me, I don't mind." I say. That's a lie. I do mind. But I'm playing it cool, obviously.

"No, I want to." He says.

"It doesn't look like it." I reply.

"Stiles?"

"Shut up?"

"Bingo!"

"Fine."

"Ok... So we started going out a while ago, and I was so sure I loved her, but she didn't really care. She was just sort of using me. That's not important... Basically, she had this necklace thing. It sort of gave her the senses, shifting, super strength and the healing of werewolves without the bad parts. So she wasn't really a wolf or anything, but she could be like one. Because she wasn't a wolf, she didn't have a pack or anything, and neither did I, she pretended we were one and fooled me." So far, this has been pretty vague, but I guess he's trying? "The thing was, she was doing bad wolf crap with the necklace and that meant hunters were pestering local packs and basically ended up in me having to steal the necklace from her, and I though I had made sure she was not anywhere near here anymore. I may have finally seen her tricks, but I couldn't kill her, even after all the crap she put me through. But apparently she hasn't given up on it." He looked like he'd finished.

"Defuq was that? You didn't really give me any back story." I point out.

"I don't really want to... I tried ok? I gave you the important bits!" He sounds kinda pissed, but I am being annoying, so it's allowed.

"So you're getting back with her?" I ask. I have to make sure.

"What?! No! Never! I never want to see her again! Did you not hear all that about how she ripped out by young damaged heart and crushed it into little pieces, then used those shards for her own personal gain?" He exclaims, looking at me like I'm crazy.

"Ok, ok! I was just asking!" I say. Ok enough with the pointless questions. "So where is this necklace now?"

"Somewhere she'll never find it." He snaps.

"So we have nothing to worry about!" I'm trying to be positive, can't he see that?!

"Unless she finds a way to get me to tell her?" He say. What a downer!

"And how's she going to do that?"

"Blackmail?" He suggested. He really can't even be just a little bit positive, can he?

"Pfft yeah, and what would she use to blackmail you? It's not like you're very attached to much at all!" I say. I mean come on! The guy practically rips anything to shreds if it gets to close to him (both in a manner of actual distance and when it comes to relationships).

"Not things, people!" He finally says, after a while of looking annoyed. I have a feeling I'm not getting something that he thinks is very obvious...

"Like who? Practically everyone you know is either a complete badass, or paired with someone who is a complete bad ass, and will have no problem keeping themselves safe!" I say.

He doesn't say anything to that. He just looks at me pointedly. Suddenly, it clicks in my brain. He means ME! I'm not sure wether to take that as he just thinks I can't defend myself, or that he cares and worries about me. I'm going to take it as the first one.

"I can take care of myself, you know!" I shout. It really pisses me off when people just assume I'm weak and vulnerable. I mean, I've saved his ass more than a few times. A simple thank you would be nice. Maybe a card or some flowers? With a little note 'thanks for saving my angsty wolfy ass from all those mean creatures that want to eat my heart or liver or hair'?

"That's not what I mean, Stiles, I know you're perfectly capable of protecting yourself!" Then what the fuck does he mean? Why can't he just tell me?

"Oh really?" I say, looking at him sceptically.

"Yes! I just... I just worry about you!" He finally snaps at me, then a look comes across his face that practically screams 'oh shit, did I really say that? I really said that, didn't I? I didn't mean to say that!'

"Why?" Is all I can say, and I look away. This is not a time for my crippling insecurities to surface, damnit!

"Because we're... Friends. And that's what friends do, look out for each other." That's a bit of a reality check. 'Friends'. All this pretending and arguing like an old married couple almost made me forget, this is just pretend. After this weekend, everything will return to normal, Derek and his brooding, me and my very noticeable singleness and this whole thing will become noting more than a bad dream.

No. I realise, I don't want that to happen. I'm not going to let that happen. I'm promising myself now, by the end of this trip, Derek will know how I feel about him, and either I'm going to be laughed at and rejected, yet again, or, by some almighty power, maybe he'll feel the same way. I'm putting my money the first one. At least then I'll be able to move on with my life.

I'm going to hold myself to that promise.

***

So this was a bit shorter than usual, I guess? Sorry! But I would like to know, do you prefer more often, shorter chapters or longer chapters that also take longer to put up? That would help me with the writing. Oh and I was possibly planning on getting them together in this chapter, but I was thinking, they should have to spend at least one awkward night sharing a bed, don't you think? So you might have that to look forward to...