10|Ten

LYLA WAS GROWING IRRITATED AS SHE WATCHED the Lightwood boy pace the floors of the institute infirmary. "I said I'm fine."

"What you did was stupid."

"What else was I suppose to do?" Green eyes narrowed at the older Lightwood who seized his pacing to meet her gaze.

"Think Lyla, you should've called us." Alec stated his posture straight, his stance sending the message that he was in charge but Lyla could care less.

"The building was collapsing and not to mention on fire, by the time you would've gotten there that little girl would've died."

"So you put yourself at risk?" Alec asked folding his hands across his chest.

"I don't care about that. Why are you making a big deal out of this?" Lyla exclaimed her voice rising as she threw hands upwards in frustration. "I-I saved someone, I saved that little girl and I'm being scolded for it?"

Alec shook his head "No one is scolding you. What you did was great but you can't keep doing things without thinking."

"Alec, all my life I've involuntarily found dead bodies and for the first time in ever this thing was on my side. I saved someone, I didn't find a dead body. I found a little girl who was losing oxygen, so close to death without anyone knowing she was inside." The strawberry blonde recalled the reunion of the girl who she now knew to be Abby, with her mother. Meridith... "I felt what she felt and that's something no kid should experience and yes maybe I wasn't thinking but I did something, I saved her and if anyone should know how that feels it's you and the others."

Clary stood by the wall not meaning to eavesdrop but she didn't want to interrupt the conversation between the two. She had wanted to check on the strawberry blonde, to see if she was okay and she had gotten her answer but she couldn't quite find it in her to move away.

Alec grew silent as he averted his gaze to the floor. "I'm not defenseless and everyday I realize that I'm growing and my faith is probably inevitable but if I had to do that all over again I wouldn't change anything. If Isabelle was in that building you would've done the same thing."

"That's different. She's my sister and I would risk my life for hers, but that little girl was a stranger." Alec retorted, not seeing why the girl would compare his sibling and him to her situation with a complete stranger.

Lyla nodded "The situation would've been the same." Lyla couldn't help but think back to the little girl and cursed herself at how she hadn't seen the resemblance at first glimpse. Her hair was auburn red like Meredith's, and the freckles her grandmother had told her she too had, they would fade as little Abby grew older. "If you're done being a grumpy old man I'd like to grieve the loss of my beloved Louis Vuitton shoes in peace."

Though Alec tried to hide it by turning away, Lyla had already seen the twitching of his lips and at the sight her lips tugged upwards into a small smile. The brown haired boy wordlessly left, as did Clary.

Lyla released a breath as she stared at her ankle that was slightly swollen. It had been perched on top of a pillow and an ice pack lied on top. She then slightly pushed down the sleeve of her black dress to stare at the rune. She had wondered why they hadn't tried seeing what could happen but she figured they weren't sure since her mother was a mundane. Her pointer finger lightly traced the faded mark. The red mark stood out against her pale skin, and though it was slightly odd she couldn't imagine the flesh without it.

"You don't look too bad for someone who just went into a burning building."

At the voice Lyla's smile broadened, though she didn't remove her eyes from the rune. "I still look better than you do."