Chapter Fourteen *

1750s

Mama always told me, Nicolene be careful out there, walk around alert because many ruthless creatures roam these streets, but of course, I wasn't going to listen to mama, I wanted to be free. Free from her grip, free from her mental slavery. Mama had this way of keeping me a prisoner, but I know she only did so because she loves me.

She wasn't even the only one, many parents dreaded the idea of their young staying out after the sunsets, because many stories float around, horrible stories. They sound so fiction, because beasts don't exist.

Or at least I didn't know that they exist, the very definition of horror walks around this earth, and yet many people still don't believe in it. Or refuse to.

I wish that I could have listened to mama more often, then I wouldn't have been in this very situation that I am in now, but how was I suppose to know?

It was about three weeks ago, mama had been terribly sick, too sick to open the bakery and manage it so she sent me. She gave me strict rules but ended it off by warning me to lock up at six and be home by seven, but I just wanted to be alone.

So I locked up an hour later and went to the graveyard where I read a book for hours. By the time I got hungry and wanted to leave it was already very dark outside. I picked up my book and started walking, but then as I walked through the graveyard I was stopped by twins.

"Well, well, what do we have here?"

I recall the fair head one asking. I didn't trust them, maybe because I hated the sight of them. Both of them were paler than the moon that lit up this cold evening with their eyes as red as blood.

The brunette chuckled, her fangs jumping out from her mouth. How glorious they were. Sharp, and long and curled over her thin bottom lip.

The blonde walked up to me, holding me with her hands as cold as death. She sniffed my neck and licked it and shot her sister with a deadly glance.

"The Count will love her, yes."

They both giggled.

"Then we must have her."

The brunette told and stretched out her arms which became strong bat-like wings. Her sister too retracted her majestic wings and took off, leaving the brunette to rise to the air and pick me up with her claw-like feet and flew away with me.

I begged her to stop, begged her to put me down but she and her sister laughed at my desperate cries. I wriggled roughly, trying to get free, even if it meant falling into my death, but alas! Her grip was too strong.

I was dropped before a castle where the brunette one whistle and a fleet of vampires rushed over to her and bowed low. She looked at each and every single one of them and decided on one vampire.

"You, " she pointed at a very tall vampire with pitch black hair.

The vampire sped over to the brunette and bowed again.

"Take this one to the dungeon with the others!"

"Yes, Milady."

The brunette smirked and walked away. The vampire gently grabbed me by the wrist and walked with me in silence. Like the vampire, I too am very tall and I kept on looking at her porcelain face.