Chapter 36

Today is the day. The dreaded day. The day I wish would never come. Do you get the point yet?

Today is the day mom leaves for New York. It's Monday and she's leaving until Saturday. That's like, 5 and a half days spent alone with the five devils plus Alexander and Logan. At least I have Brynn. Thank god for Brynn.

Mom is supposed to leave at 1. I roll over and check my alarm clock. 9:16 am. I groan and sit up. I grab my phone and text Brynn. I want her over as soon as possible but she sleeps way later than me. I'm not sure when she'll get my texts.

I reluctantly roll out of bed. I thump down the stairs and enter the kitchen.

"Good morning mom." I greet her, slipping onto a kitchen stool.

"Good morning sweetie." Mom smiles back at me over her coffee cup. "Are any of your brothers up?"

"Not sure. I didn't hear them."

I say this just as Ryder enters the room.

"Morning mom." He kisses my mom on the head.

"Morning munchkin." He smirks at me and ruffles my hair.

"Be quiet." I mumble, whacking his hand away.

"You're so sensitive Em." He tsks, shaking his head.

"Shut up." I grumble.

"Oh. I get it. You're mad cause today's the day mom leaves." Ryder smirks down at me.

"Leave me alone." I grumble, scooching away.

"Awe, Emma. You're such a scaredy cat. It's so cute." He laughs, pulling me into a hug.

I pull away from him and glare.

"Leave your sister alone Ryder." Mom sighs.

"Yeah." I add.

She shoots me a warning look and I shut up.

"I'm sorry." Ryder holds up his hand in defence.

"Do you know when's Brynn getting here?" Mom asks, setting down her coffee cup.

"I don't know yet. She hasn't answered my texts yet." I reply, sliding off the stool and going to grab a yogurt.

Ryder steals my spot. I glare at him and sit at the stool next to mom.

My mom wouldn't let Alexander, Logan or Brynn come over for the past two days since they'd be over for five days this week. She said she wanted their families to have some time with them.

Just then, my phone pings. I snatch it up and check my text messages.

"I'm saved!" I squeal. "She will be here in 15 minutes."

"Awe. That sucks." Hunter smirks, entering the kitchen.

"You suck." I mumble.

He walks past me and jabs a finger into my side. This makes me squawk and jump away.

Later on, Brynn and I are lying on our backs on the floor in the living room. Logan and Alexander have also arrived and are somewhere in the depths of our house with my brothers. We're busy counting the minutes until my mom calls us into the entry way to say goodbye to her.

"This is gonna suck." Brynn sighs.

"Tell me about it." I sigh back.

"Well that's rude." Leo huffs, coming into the living room.

"No. It's a fact." I quip.

He then proceeds to pretend to step on my stomach, making me flinch.

"Ok! Everyone in the entry hall." Mom calls.

Brynn and I groan simultaneously, sitting up.

"Come on children." Leo teases, giving each of us a hand to stand up.

"Shut up." I shove him and sulk over to the entry hall.

Once all my brothers and co are gathered, Mom gives us a speech.

"Ok. Ground rules. No friends besides these three. Leo you must know where everyone is at all times. No fireworks after last time. No drinking." Mom lectures.

Then she moves on to the rules about Brynn and I.

"No threatening. No holding hostages. No torturing. No tying anyone up. No locking anyone out of the house. No forcing you're younger siblings out of rooms. No throwing anyone in the pool."

"Is this making you not want to leave, heading all the things that could happen to us without your presence?" I ask, causing Sawyer to thump the back of my head to shut me up.

"And boys, please be nice to your sister." Mom adds.

"We will." Hunter promises.

Yeah right.

"I'm serious guys. I only have one daughter. I can't afford to have her broken."

"We get it. We'll play nice with Emma." Cameron groans.

"And if I get a call from the neighbors about noise or anything like that, I'm coming home immediately. If I get a call from your sister about any broken rules, everyone is getting punished. Am I clear?" Mom raises her eyebrows at us.

"You're clear." We all repeat.

"Alright. I will see you guys in six days."

Mom gives us each a hug and a kiss on the forehead. Then drags her bags out to the taxi waiting for her. She climbs in and gives us one last wave before the car drives away. Brynn and I stand on the porch, watching her go.

Once she's out of sight, I turn to my friend.

"Are you ready?" I ask.

"If we have to." She moans.

The two of us turn and head into the house, bracing ourselves for what this week will bring.