Chapter 12 - Ellison's POV

I awake with a start, my head oddly buried in my desk, and a crick lodging itself in my neck, feeling groggy and tired. I slowly straighten up, and feel like an old man stumbling through a darkened cavern, with a fogged up mind. I massage and stretch my neck and shoulders to relieve the tension from within them, as I slept very uncomfortably last night in my home office. Memories begin to swarm back to me like a camera lens focusing, as I still in shock, remembering my phone call with my mother. A gentle yet booming smile erupts onto my lips, as I realise I have finally done it. I spoke to her! She wants to meet me!

After the tense conversation I had with my father, I felt emotionally drained. It seems as though by getting to know one parent I have inadvertently pushed away the other. I do not regret it though. It was my choice to speak to my mum – no one else's. I needed this closure to move on to my future, without anything holding me back. I try to stop the sinking feeling in my stomach at the way my dad brushed me off last night, and I manage to succeed with only a slight droop in my smile. He will get over it soon. Hopefully.

I know who will be happy with my success with my mum though – Laurene. She has always encouraged me to contact her, so I am sure she will be very pleased for me with my latest progress. I feel so sorry for her that she will never get to see her own mum again though. I know that she still has a lot of pent up sadness and heartbreak over her mum's death, which is understandable, so it is lovely to see how supportive she is being with my relationship with my mum. I want to be respectful to her wishes and make her proud of me, so all being well this will do just that. I will also need to tell my family about this change in development, although I will save that for later because I am not sure what their opinions will be regarding the matter at hand. I am sure my grandma may have a heart attack in shock and happiness, as this is what my grandma has always wanted.

After freshening up and changing into a crisp new Hugo Boss suit, I make my way over to Laurene's office. She has been going in extra early everyday this week so that she can leave earlier to spend time with her family that are currently visiting her. She has been having meals and meet ups with them every evening, which has meant that we can only spend time together during work, which has been tough for me but I completely support her in meeting with her family, as she has not seen them all in years. Tomorrow I am going to meet them all at a family dinner, so hopefully I live up to their expectations.

As I head into her office, I notice that once again there is a different girl then Hazel on the front desk. My curiosity is peaked at her reoccurring absence. I do not care for her much as a person, although I do distantly recall Laurene saying something about her being ill, so I am wondering what has actually happened to her to warrant all of this time off.

"Hey babe, what are you doing here?" Laurene asks me, as her eyes find mine.

"Hey Laurene, I just came to see you and tell you about something." I reply, whilst giving her a loving hug.

"Ah ok, is everything alright hun?" She asks whilst pulling me towards her desk.

"Yes actually, everything is great. I spoke to my mum last night." I explain to her, unable to keep the smile off my face.

"What! That's great Ellison; I'm guessing everything went well?"

"Yes it did! She is going to try to come to the states to see me next week with my sister. You will come with me to meet with them right?" I ask, thinking of the daunting quest I have to undergo.

"That's so good Ellison! I am so happy for you. Of course I will come if you want me to." She tells me, whilst taking my hands into her own and rubbing soothing circles into them.

"Thank you. This will be a big moment." I sigh. I hope everything will run smoothly.

"Yes it will, but just imagine how happy you will feel after. You are going to see your mum again! That is amazing. I wish my mum was here too." She tells me, as a wave of sadness crashing into the shining blue of her eyes.