Chapter 3 - Obedience and Respect

**Author's note: this chapter is explicit.

When everyone was gone, Lana joined Honda on the mats. As usual, he had folded neatly his hakama and sat now in seiza -- the 'correct' Japanese way of kneeling that so many adult Westerners find too difficult to adopt, legs folded underneath the thighs, and buttocks resting on the heels. This was his habit, but also what aikido etiquette required. She took place opposite of him, mirroring his posture.

"Martin san, let's talk about your attitude. I find it less than appropriate. There are some basic rules in the dojo everyone is expected to follow, even foreigners."

Lana straightened her spine, trying to smooth her face and hide her stupor at such criticism. "My apologies, Sensei, I never meant to cause offense. But I don't understand what I am doing wrong."

With narrowed eyes, he leaned toward her. "This, for example. You should learn how to apologize the proper way."

She couldn't help a frown. Apologize? For doing what? Time to play the language and culture card. Her professional Japanese was actually much better than her vernacular; it was easy for her to miss subtleties and hints.

"I am truly sorry, Sensei, is it the words I use? I don't know all the proper expressions... please tell me what I should say?" Her tone was even and proper, but the situation was ridiculous.

"No, not your words; your words are more or less fine. I am talking about your behavior. You are a student. A white belt. A woman. Twenty years younger than me. Bow! Lower. Your. Eyes! Don't look at me directly and assume you may challenge me!" he uttered, barely containing the booming earthquake in his voice.

Unimpressed, Lana pinched her lips and her fingers curled on her lap. The tension of her difficult day came back with a vengeance, sweeping away the benefits of their practice night. The man was infuriating, but he wasn't the first to act like this with her. She led business negotiations every day with shark lawyers and hungry CEOs who assumed she was there to take dictation or serve them tea. She respected him, all right, but unconditional deference bordering on mindless obedience, because of who she was? Hell no

"Sensei..." The growl in her voice was loud. She leaned so close she could see his quick pulse beating in his neck. His body heat washed over her, and she repressed a furious urge to inhale his scent. Come on, focus girl, now is not the right time for that!

"Yes, you are my sensei, and I should express my respect better, I guess. But I wouldn't grovel in front of my father, nor my husband, if I had one, and certainly not my boss. So, why should I do it with you?"

Lana knew she was out of line. She was expected to nod and keep quiet. There was no valid excuse for talking back to your instructor, or even your senior in Japan. A great example of cultural clash, but it was one of these days where she had to draw a line against cultural adaptation. I shouldn't be the only one making efforts here, he could also be a bit more understanding and flexible, damn it!

Honda's eyes blackened and his next move caught her unprepared. With one hand, he grabbed the jacket of her dogi, and pulled her easily to him, nostrils flaring; he was as strong as an ox, and had decades of martial arts training under his belt. With a strangled yelp, Lana caught herself on his arm and leg to avoid crashing onto his lap.

Of course, she should have tried one of the dozen techniques she had learned to free herself, but she had no chance against him. Her mind wandered off track again at such a close contact. My goodness, it's not just his arms that are hard. This thigh is as solid as marble. How would it feel if--

"This is unacceptable," he rasped, face inches away from hers. "Don't think natural skills and even less a pretty face can absolve you from your duties. You will not get a pass simply because you are not Japanese. You will learn your proper place in relation to me!"