Chapter 9

Caitlyn's POV:

When I woke up, I rolled over and looked at the clock on my bedside table. It was already 10:48am! After thinking, I decided to just stay in bed until 11am. I closed my eyes again and just lay there. It was so quiet, and just as I was getting comfy and was about to go back to sleep, I thought better of it and slowly sat up.

I rubbed my eyes and stretched out my arms before getting up. My room was freezing cold in the morning, it always is, and then it's always boiling hot at night. Picking up a jacket and pulling it on over my arms, I walked over to my window and pulled back the curtains. The sun was shining; it looks like a nice day outside. I started thinking about what to wear for tonight, shorts or jeans, or maybe leggings? Then with what top? I had no clue.

"Morning Caitlyn!" my mum smiled at me cheerfully, taking a sip of her tea, steam still floating in the air above the cup.

I honestly don't know how she can be so happy in the mornings, I never am. I'm just not a morning person.

"Morning." I mumbled back.

"Breakfast?" she asked me.

"I don't know. Are you cooking anything?" I asked her. I didn't really want toast or cereal today.

"Only if you go next door and ask Mr Thomas for our mail. It got delivered to him again." she said. I could see her trying not to laugh.

Neither of us likes Mr Thomas. My dad doesn't either. Even my little sister, who is five and doesn't really know any different, doesn't like Mr Thomas. He's 79 and most possibly the most miserable, moody man I've met. If you walk past him and smile to be polite, he'll just give you a dirty look. The worst thing is that our mail always gets delivered to his house, and I'm always the one who has to go and get it.

"Fine. I'll have a bacon sandwich please." I said, to which she nodded her head.

Sighing, I walked to the front door and pulled it open, and walked across to Mr Thomas' house. After ringing the doorbell, I could hear him shouting and then what seemed like ages later, the door finally opened, revealing an angry looking man.

"What do you want?" Mr Thomas snapped at me.

"Um, my mail got delivered here?" I said.

"You have to get that sorted! I'm thinking you're doing it on purpose. 'Let's interrupt the man at least twice a week to get our mail'. No respect for us." he ranted.

I zoned out half way. I'd only woken up about 30 minutes ago; it was way too early to have to listen to his lecture.

"Thanks." I said when he finally handed me the mail. It was only two envelopes. The way my mum made me get it made it seem as though it was some sort of package. So I had to go to his house for two envelopes. I sighed and shook my head, walking back to my house and through the front door.

The smell of cooking bacon was already filling the house, as well as smoke.

"Did you get it honey?" my mum called to me from the kitchen.

"After listening to him ranting about how we have no respect for him and that we send our mail there on purpose, yes I did." I said, throwing the envelopes onto the work top next to my mum, who was laughing at me.

"No, it's really not funny." I said, but even I was laughing now.

I sat myself down at the table, and leant my head on my hands while I waited for my breakfast.

"Any plans for today?" my mum asked me.

"Yes.." I said, smiling slightly.

"Is this why you were smiling so much last night? You're going on a date aren't you? Oh tell me who it is!" my mum begged.