Chapter 7

"Oswald, what is wrong? You look so sad." My mother said as I held her in my arms. "Nothing's wrong mother. Nothing at all. We're together now. And that's all that matters. That's all that ever mattered, right?" I reassured her. "Ever since you were a baby my little Cobblepot." I started crying.

"I'm sorry. This is all my fault. Please forgive me, I am so so sorry." "For what? You were always such a good boy." Suddenly the hand resting on my face fell down and I stared into my mothers eyes. She was gone. "No. No, no, no." I repeated. I wrapped my arms around her back and held her lifeless body.

"Oswald! Wake up!" My eyes shot open and I was face to face with Ed. "What happened?" I felt something wet on my face so I put my hand on my cheek and noticed there were tears. "You were calling out for your mom and then you started crying." Ed said. Suddenly the memories flooded back to me and I started crying again. "I miss her so much." I cried into Ed's chest as he held me close to him. "Shh. I know. I know." Ed held me until I stopped crying. I rested my head in the crook of his neck. He smelled like pinecone and maybe a hint of lavender.

I wanted to stay like that forever but sadly he pulled away. I noticed a wet spot on his shoulder and apologized for making his shirt wet with tears. All he did was laugh. "It's fine." I looked over at the clock and noticed it was already 10 in the morning. "Oh no! Don't you have work?" He shook is head. "Nope. Today's Saturday."

I layed back down on the pillow. "Great. That means we can sleep all day." He laughed. "You wish. I was actually thinking we could hang out at a park or something today. You need to regain your strength and the only way to do that is through exercise. I wouldn't call laying in bed exercise." I furrowed my eyebrows together. "You do realize that practically everyone in Gotham knows who I am. They'll probably call the cops or something."

"Relax. There's a park a few blocks away and barely anyone goes there. And if anyone one does show up then we can just leave." I sighed. "Fine. But I should probably take a shower. I haven't taken one since I got here." He nodded. "Sounds good. I'll make us breakfast."

He walked over to his kitchen and opened his fridge. Well, I wouldn't call it a kitchen. His apartment is really small. I stood up from the bed and walked to the restroom. Before I started taking off my clothes I looked in the shower to make sure I could properly turn on the water. The handle was one I had never seen before and I couldn't figure out how to turn it on. I debated weather or not I should ask Ed for help but I decided that death is better than taking a cold shower.

"Um, Ed. Could you help me out?" I called. After a few seconds the door opened and Ed was standing infront of me without a shirt. "Yes Oswald?" He asked. I assumed he was getting changed when I called him. I tried my hardest not to stare at but it was nearly impossible with how attractive he was. "I um, I need help." I said, trying to concentrate on what I was saying. "What do you need help with?" "The shower." He walked over to the shower and turned it on. He explained how it worked but I didn't actually listen, I was to busy staring at Ed.

~

"You ready to go?" Ed asked after we ate breakfast. "Yep. Lemme just get my shoes on." After getting my shoes on and fixing my hair we walked out of his apartment. This was the first time I had been out in a week so the sun blinded me. "Goddamnit! Why is it so bright out?" I complained.

"Well you see, there's this big, bright, orange orb in the sky call the sun that-" I jokingly slapped his arm. "Shut up." We were nearing the park when my legs began to feel weak. Luckily Ed grabbed me before I hit the ground. "Thanks." He smiled at me. "How about I help you out." Suddenly he grabbed my hand and I started blushing like crazy. His hand felt warm and soft, just as I had imagined. We walked in silence to the park and I noticed it was a field with a few trees and benches.

"We can take a break from walking if you'd like. Wanna sit under a tree?" I nodded. He led us over to a tall tree and we sat down. I didn't even notice we we're still holding hands until I looked down. We sat for a while and talked a bit but the conversation wasn't very interesting. That was until the subject of love came up. "What happened to your girlfriend?" I asked, hoping he wouldn't be triggered by me asking that.

"Well there's not much to say except that she was the love of my life. Yes, in the beginning she didn't like me much but after a while she started showing interest in me. I asked her out and surprisingly she said yes. One night I invited her over for dinner and told her that I killed her boyfriend. Oh, did I mention I killed her boyfriend? Anyways, after I told her that she got scared she tried running away but I grabbed her and held her by her throat. I didn't even realize I was choking her until I let go and she fell on the ground. Long story short, I accidentally killed her."

"Wait, hold on. She didn't like you at first?" I asked. He simply shrugged. "She thought I was a creep. But I can't blame her." He said sadly. "Don't ever say that again. You are amazing just the way you are. Don't ever change." I said and squeezed his hand. He smiled and blushed. "You too Oswald."

I started staring into his beautiful brown eyes. We stared at each other and just smiled. My eyes drifted to his lips and I had a sudden urge to kiss him. I slowly started leaning in, making sure he wanted this too. To my surprise, he leaned in. The distance between our lips was getting smaller and smaller with each passing moment and I could practically feel my heart beating out of my chest.

Our faces were so close that I could feel his warm breath tickling my neck. Just when our lips were only a few centimeters apart his phone started ringing. He snapped out of his trance and answered it. I could feel the disappointment in my chest. After he got off the phone with whoever called we sat in akward silence. "I guess we should go now." I said and used all my strength to stand up.

"Oswald, wait!" Ed called out but before I could even respond I was walking away. "Hang on!" He caught up with me. "I'm sorry Ed. But we're just friends." I stated. Suddenly he stopped walking. I didn't bother to turn around but if I did, I would've seen his saddened expression.