CHAPTER 15.

"The behavior that you exhibited was ghetto-like. The ghetto jumped out and then it jumped back in," K-Ci scolded as I sat on the couch, shaking my head with my arms folded across my chest.

"What was I supposed to do? She said I had diseases and threatened to kick my ass! And she called me Sarah Jane!" I exclaimed, extending my arms out.

"Who is-oh yeah, Imitation of Life. Now that is grounds for fighting," JoJo said, shrugging.

"Alright, I'll give you that. But still! What if we hadn't caught you? You would've beat the brakes off that girl and she would've called the police because she's a white woman and then we would've been in for it 'cause we all black."

"True," JoJo said, "And if she had hit you, we would've had to explain why you were banged up. We would've been in trouble no matter what way it went."

"What he said."

"You know what, I'm really not in the mood to listen y'all tell me what I did and what I should've done, and y'all got songs to finish to singing. If you need me, I'll be in the basement," I said, standing up.

"Aw, come on Ash-"

"I need to cool off, I'll be fine. Just go."

I headed towards my room to grab my Walkman and then headed downstairs, pulling my headphones over my ears as I shut the door behind me and flopped on the couch.

Okay, I felt bad about talking to my cousins like that, but damn! How much could you really expect me to take? Mind you, they've been doing this shit since we were kids. It's like, every single time I don't do what they want me to do or act the way they want me to act, they always got something to say about it. Usually I can handle it but I've had my fill for today.

I didn't wanna fight the girl, to be honest. My days of fighting were a thing of the past, or at least that's where I wanted them to be. I didn't like getting out of character like that but everybody's got things they'll tolerate and won't tolerate. Bringing my skin color into it? I won't tolerate. Trying to start stuff with me over a boy? That, I also will not tolerate. The blatant disrespect was too much for me. And the fact that the girl reminded me so much of Alana...yeah, that didn't help things.

I laid back on the couch, hands behind my head as I listened to my music. A part of me wanted to call Anthony, just to pass the time but I'm sure he was still at work. So I just sat there, listening to my music, thinking to myself.

As much as K and Jo were irritating me...I wonder if Dad would be okay with me transferring down here. Probably not, but I'd ask anyway. I mean, I'm finally an adult. Technically I can make that decision by myself, right? Although, he was paying some of my bills, so I don't know. But if I could pull that off somehow, I'd wanna get back down here as soon as possible. Maybe I could call Joe and ask him to do me a favor, since they'd be getting back before me. And maybe I could buy myself some more time down here, while I'm at it.

I didn't realize how much time had passed while I was plotting out the next few days, but apparently it was a lot because De walked right in, towing his keyboard as Never Knew Love Like This Before by Stephanie Mills began to play. The universe has excellent timing.

"Hey, De," I said, giving a little wave.

"What's up?" He said back, wiping the sweat off his forehead as he put down the instrument and sat in the little rolling chair in front of it.