▪️19▪️

-edited 11/21/19

| nahmir |

"nicholas what i tell yo ass about being in the streets?" my mama raised her voice.

we were down at the police station with our parents getting ready to fire questions at us about why we were even here, with faces reading that as soon as we got home we'd be dead.

i ignored her question and kept avoiding eye contact. "i believe i asked you a fucking question."

"and what's wrong with your arm?" she asked lifting it up. "i got shot," i replied bluntly.

"are you okay?" i shook my head yes. "speak with your mouth," she slapped my arm. "ow, goddamn.. alright.."

"now please explain to me and these officers what the hell you were doing." she demanded.

"we didn't do anything. we was just walking and these niggas pulled us over." i lied. "so tell me why they found a gun on you." "ma, you know i always keep one on me." i said.

"why is there blood on this?" the officer asked raising up my gun. ma raised her eyebrows. everyone waited for my response. fuck am i supposed to say, i accidentally dipped it in ketchup?

"are you gonna answer the damn question?" she asked while i tried to make something up. but i couldn't. "did you assault someone with this?" the officer asked again. i stayed silent.

"you know, there was a police report earlier, maybe thirty minutes ago," the other officer started.
"someone called about witnessing a man being hit on the head and shot to his death. around a few minutes after we pulled you and your friends over." he finished.

"then someone else called about a shootout down the same alley you guys were in."

"nick you're going to explain this right now-" "ma'am please calm down." the officer says.

"we're you three also involved?" they asked glizzy manny and jay.

glizzy nodded. "nigga why would you snitch on yourself?" i asked him. i swear this nigga so dumb sometimes. "nigga if you going down im going down too." he replied.

"okay but i have one question," someone asked. we all turned around and looked at what i'm assuming to be genesis's mom. "why is my daughter involved in this fucking mess?"

| genesis |

everyone waited for my response. "fuck y'all loo- i was simply going over to his house." i said.

"so how did you end up with these boys?" the officer asked. i tried to think of a way to bend the story. because then i'd be snitching on nahmir and getting him in trouble.

"i actually know them, their my friends." i responded. "well actually nahmir is her boyfriend." glizzy said. i glared at him. "this isn't the time for jokes jayden." i said referring to my bestfriend that he was going out with.

"so this naymir guy is the one your sister has been telling me about." my mom joined. "it's nahmir," i corrected.

"and you're going out with him?" she asked. "no, he was just playing." i said rolling my eyes. "whether you're going out with him or not i don't want you talking to him or going anywhere with him anymore. delete his contact." she ordered.

i felt nahmir's eyes on me as i was ignoring him. "you don't even know him." "look where we're at. a police station. he killed somebody, he's a murderer! i think that's all i need to know to determine if you ever see him again or not."

i looked at her in disbelief and was about to say something before nahmir interrupted. "she's right. it's for your own good."

i looked back at him. "what? what do you mean it's for my own good? i can't just leave you like that!" i told him. "yes you can. you could live without seeing me." no i can't!

"about what ms. harris said," the officer interrupted. "we're going to keep him for questioning. we'll start with the three of you. the rest of you may leave."

jay manny and glizzy follows the officers into another hallway. everyone leaves the room except for my mom. "aren't you coming?" she asked. "can i talk to him first?" i said not answering here question. she gave me a face and walked out.

as soon as she left, i got up and went over to nahmir and punched him in his chest. "ow, what the fuck was that for?" he asked holding that spot.

"why would you say that?" i asked almost about to cry. "say what?" "that i it would be good  if i just stopped talking to you. i could never do that! and you just said it like every thing was okay, like we're just gonna stop being around each other and it will be okay!"

"i said it because it would make your mom happy. and even if i do spend time here for a while i'll still be back. i could never stop being with you." he said hugging me.

"what happens when they find out that you killed that person?" i asked looking up at his tall figure.

"i'm gone have to do time." he said. i felt a few tears from my eyes. "please stop crying before you make me feel terrible." he said whipping my tears.

he brought us back to the chair and wrapped his arm around my shoulder. "jay said something about switching the guns before we were pulled over." he said. "so wouldn't that mean he would get arrested?" i asked. "i don't think so."

"what do you mean?" "even if he switched the guns they'd still have my fingerprints on it. and they can still use it against me." he responded.

"why do you continue doing this street shit when you know their could be serious consequences?"

he stayed silent on that question. i lifted my head from his chest. "didn't you hear me?" i asked. "i did." he simply said. "well then answer me." i asked sitting up.

"santana?" the officer said coming into the room. we both looked up. he let go of me and stood up. "come with me," he said. nahmir looked at me for a second. our eye contact was cut short before he started following the officer.
..

"have you heard from them yet?" i asked my mom. "why should you care?" she asked. "because he's my best friend, and i actually care about him." i said. "just leave it alone."

i rolled my eyes and went over to nahmir's mom who looked upset too. "did they say anything?" i ask. the officer walked in. "ms. santana?"

"yes?" she answered looking up. "your son will be held here for a couple of days. maybe even weeks. he's going to be questioned again. there are other important cases that are in need of investigation. we will find out if he's guilty or not later on." he finished.

"what about his friends?" she asked. "they're being held also."

"so what, you're just gonna keep them until you find answers?" i asked. he nodded. "so can we leave now?" my mom asks. "you can. they aren't not coming back out anyways." he said.

immediately, my mom got up. "let's go," she told me. i mentally rolled my eyes and followed her out to the car.

-