epilogue ❀

"how many times do i have to - fuck off, you stupid bird! can't you see i'm fucking busy?"

"knock knock."

richie turned around in his swivel chair to see bill in the doorway, holding a brown paper bag.

"first of all, you don't need to say 'knock knock.' second of all, are those drugs billiam?"

"first of all, yes i do. second of all, no. third of all, why the hell are you telling a bird to fuck off?" bill put the bag on richie's desk and walked further into the room, examining it.

richie looked into the bag. inside was a sandwich.

"aw, did you go out and buy this just for me billy? how sweet of you!" richie clasped his hands together and smiled.

"no, richie. eddie made it and forced me to come give it to you, unfortunately. now explain why you're telling a bird to fuck off?"

"simple, the bird won't leave me the fuck alone." richie looked at the window. the bird was gone now.

"do you know what day it is?" bill asked.

"april 26. what about it?"

bill knew richie remembered april 26, he knew he marked it in his calendar every year, and he knew that richie used to stay in his room and cry every 26th of april.

the past few years, though, richie had pushed himself to pretend the 'event' never happened. that usually didn't work. but it was working fine today, up until bill came in the room.

"richie, i know you know what i'm talking about. i know you're annoying and i like to make fun of you for it, but sincerely, you can talk to me if you want. i know it's hard for you-"

"shut the fuck up bill. just stop talking. i don't want to hear it, okay?" richie's face felt hot, and bill sighed.

"so... how are the kids? do they miss their uncle richie yet?"

"don't try and change the subject, rich." bill leaned against the wall.

after a few minutes of silence, bill started to walk to the door.

"i'll uh.. see ya later richie. and maybe don't be so rude to that bird? people who've passed usually give us signs -"

richie cut bill off.

"bye bill."

bill sighed again and left the room, shutting the door behind him. richie watched as he got into his car and drove down the driveway.

the bird - a cardinal, richie now noticed - came back and rested on the branch of the tree right by richie's window.

richie looked at it for a second and then scoffed.

"you're not stan. you're just a stupid fucking bird."

on may 1st, richie was outside when bill's car pulled into his driveway.

bill came out of the driver's seat, and eddie out of the passenger's.

"buildin' a bird house, tozier?" eddie squinted at the sun.

"uh, yeah. yeah, i am."

"need some help?" beverly, ben, and mike came from the backseat.

richie hadn't smiled that wide since stanley was alive.

author's note;

hi !!! i've been wanting to write an epilogue for this story ever since i finished it, but decided to finally do it now.

thank u all for reading the book, and thank u to my friend for motivating me to write this!! alright bye for real this time 💖