Chapter 9

Paul and I were standing at the centre of the living room. I kept my eyes on the casket. I wanted to open it and I would. “Stop it Cheryl!” Paul yelled. “What?” I asked surprised. “We need to go” he said pulling me by the arm. “Let go Paul” I shouted. “Let her go mate” “William” I said even more surprised. I never thought hot & sexy William Wellings would ever come to my rescue. “Hi Cheryl” he said like everything was 100% normal. “Hi” I couldn’t help but smile. Paul pulled my arm harder. “What the hell” I said in disbelief. “Time to go love” he said. “Leave her alone” William warned. “Or else?” Paul teased. “Back down man” William said pushing Paul. “Boys” Jenny said sternly. “Let’s take this outside shall we?” Paul asked completely ignoring William. “By all means” William. Oh this is bad. William never learnt how to survive a fight. Why the hell was he challenging Paul? If he was trying to be the hero here he is so dead. “I think you might have to arrange for another casket” I said unaware of the crowd around me. “Yes. You do that Jenny. Sorry Cheryl, you might lose one more friend” William said apologetically. When did William ever become my friend? They both looked equally mad as they walked out of the house and onto the lawn.  Half the crowd followed including uncle Matthew and Brittany. I didn’t go. I hate fights is what I was supposed to say if any one asked me why I was in the house. Everything was going according to our plan. No, William had no idea about it that is what made the situation look realistic. When the room consisted of only a few mourners ( maybe 10) I made my way to the casket. I opened the locks quickly and lifted the first half. There was my friend. “Jake” I said and gasped. His face was pale, his lips were dry and his eyes were shut. Forever. I closed it quickly because I didn’t have enough time to cry over my best friend’s body. I clicked open the locks of the second half and  lifted it with all my might. Jake’s body looked like it was pumped with air. He was huge. His hands, legs, torso everything looked bloated. He looked abnormal. He looked like a whole different person. What happened to him?  “It was…you” I whispered to the dead body. “What the hell are you doing?” out of fright of what I just saw and the thought of being caught I dropped the bridge with a bang! Without turning I could tell who it was. “Grace” I said with fear. “who do you think you are Cheryl? This is no fun fair, where you do as you please” she said with rage. “I can throw you out of my house right now. After all  you are the reason my son died” “Okay, I've had enough of this ‘let’s blame Cheryl’ nonsense. I haven’t spoken to him for 3 years and I'm the one being accused? Let me tell you one thing Grace, if there is any reason you are keeping the casket closed it’s because Jake looks miserable and anybody would notice that” “He put on some weight that led to a heart attack” she said quickly. “Really? That’s what happened? Then why are you sweating?” I asked taking a step forward. She turned on her heels and walked away. People started entering the house again. That meant the fight was over. I wonder if William is alright. I walked past all the people who were staring at one probably wondering how the cause of the fight didn’t come to see it. “Oh my god! What happened?” I asked in shock as I ran towards William and Paul who were seated on a bench on the porch.