31

We ascended up until we could nearly stick our heads in the clouds, before breaching them once again to soar above them. We flew back in the direction of the cave, all three of us still in a partial state of shock at what we had just done, and somehow got out alive from. We dropped down below the clouds shortly before the clearing came into view up ahead. We touched down and dismounted the dragons and regrouped in the cave as the dragons lay their heads on the ground to the rest.

"Well... That was something." Micha said.

"Sure was. Good job you two." I said.

I walked back to the mouth of the cave and looked out at the three dragons just as Veracon stretched his wings. The sunlight pierced his wings, making them turn to a translucent shade of cream. They all lay there sleeping, having spent their morning fighting. Something they would be spending a good part of their time doing in the future.

I turned back into the cave to sit with Tahli and Micha.

"They're just what we need. They took out all those soldiers in just a few minutes." Micha said.

I gave her a smirk.

"The first kings dragon Tario could have roasted them all in one pass. His skull is rumored to tower above any man who stands next to it. Many times the size of Doron's." I said.

"Why don't we just wait for him to get as big as Tario?" Tahli asked.

"Tario was well over a hundred years old when he died, many years after the war. Our dragons won't get anywhere near that size in our lifetime." I replied.

Just as I said this, Doron brought his head up to the mouth of the cave and stretched his neck as far as he could in an effort to get to me. He was unable due to his size, so I got up and went to him.

"You did good today... You did your job, and you did it well."

I stroked Dorons chin as he purred in pleasure. He pulled his head out of the cave and rejoined Veracon and Ragon down below.

"So, Jess, when are we going to do it again?" Micha asked.

"Not for a while. The attack today only went so well because of how few soldiers there were. We won't be able to take on the entire military, even with an army, until they get much, MUCH bigger. At least twice the size they are now." I said.

"How long will that take?" Tahli asked.

"Who knows... All I know is they won't grow as fast as long as they stay here. They need to eat more, and fly around more. They need to spend the entire day flying, and hunting in order to boost their growth. If we can achieve that, then they could be large enough within a year."  I said.

I paused, expecting Micha or Tahli to say something, but neither of them did, so I continued.

"I made the mistake of telling them to only fly when we need them to... That slowed their growth. Then I decided to Chain up Veracon and Ragon. Further slowing their growth. I'm done making mistakes. From now on, they are free. Free to fly, free to eat, and free to grow." I said.