Chapter 16: Conspiracy of Kindness

Duth_Olec

Let's do the time skip again! Do do do... I don't actually know this song.

Wally_Plotch

What song?

Duth_Olec

Exactly.

As Alden worked in the Zhopian Guard, he grew in strength and agility, proving to be a swift fighter. But he was also a smart guy! He was quick on the uptake and learned, maybe even learnéd, and so he put his book smarts to use, having information that helped in surprising situations. Yes, that's normal for nervists. No, in fact, snowbles do not like being turned into snow cones. That act is part of their culture, so while it is technically illegal, it is allowed under this circumstance.

In fact, Alden was sometimes sent on special missions to gather intelligence or meet a representative from a group. He was polite and sociable, and he made a name for himself as a clever Guard member. The months went by, and the year went by. Alden spent most of his evenings reading in the Guard library instead of going out (like a big nerd!!), although he made time to hang out with Top and Ropak, whom he didn't see as often. Sometimes they worked on opposite sides of New Zhopolis. He worried about Top staying in line—the beach ball was technically his responsibility, after all. He hoped Top wouldn't cause too many messes. It was hoping against hope.

He and his friends did buy cell phones, though. Now Alden could not only stay in contact with Top and Ropak but call his uncle and brother anytime. He heard that Spenk and Jamal had arrived at their destinations, and he chatted with them, too.

Anyway, skip skip skip, let's get to where the party's at. New Year's Rockin' Eve, 1000! One thousand years ago the planet Derantu advanced their space travel enough to reach Zhop, and this connecting of the worlds was chosen as the date to begin the new cross-planet calendar. Nobody cared though because they were too busy partying!

Wally_Plotch

I'd like to party.

Duth_Olec

Too bad, Wally! You got work to do!

Wally_Plotch

I figured as such. Good enough for me, I'm excited to see where things go from here.

Duth_Olec

Not for long.

Wally_Plotch

That doesn't sound good.

Alden entered the gymnasium in the Zhopian Guard headquarters. With everyone squeezed inside, Alden figured the entire Zhopian Guard was there, as were enough balloons and streamers to pack several busses. Music boomed, lights flashed, cleeple danced, and the buffet was under assault by a beach ball.

"Top!" Alden strode to the buffet Top gobbled down. The scalago had swapped his usual gray guard uniform for a red silk suit and jacket to his knees. Top still wore their guard hat.

"Alden!" Top jumped off the buffet to hug him. "It's been too long."

"I had a feeling you'd be here," Alden said.

"Some things never change, do they?" Ropak strode to them—he had swapped his usual gray guard uniform for going nude. The three friends embraced one another.

"I guess we finally have some time to catch up, huh?" Alden said. "I haven't seen you guys in at least two weeks."

"I wish we could work together more often," Ropak said.