Chapter 69

- 2 Weeks ago -

"I can't focus on anything, huh" I sigh, trying to edit some pictures on the computer of my office. 

"You worked all the day, I think that it's enough for today," Rose says, leaning back in her chair and backing up from her desk to look at me. 

I do the same, rubbing my face with my hands with the only purpose to erase the tiredness that started feeling in me. 

"I know but I-" I start but get immediately cut off by my phone which is ringing in my handbag. 

I frown, a bit confused since I didn't except any call from anyone so I just lean in to take it and check the screen. 

< Shawn is calling > 

I slightly sigh and hesitate a few seconds, wondering if I should pick up or not because we didn't talk that much since he went out the country. We didn't even fight or anything, we just didn't take the news from each other. He was busy with his stuff and I was busy as well. 

"Excuse me... I gotta answer..." I tell Rose and head out of the building, raising my phone up to my ear after I slid the green icon to pick up. 

I don't say anything but wait for his voice to come on the phone because I don't know what to say. 

"Hi... Lys? Babe, how are you?" He greets me and I already can imagine his bright smile growing up while he's saying those few words and it makes my smile showing up as well. 

I'm supposed to be mad. 

"Hi... I'm fine" I lie, looking down at the ground and trying to stay focused on my voice so it won't crack because I don't want him to know. Or, at least, not yet, not while he's so far from me. 

"Lys... I know you're not... Even though I don't see you, I can hear you, you know that, right?" He says, lowering his voice which makes it sound even sweeter but I don't answer due to the knot forming in my throat. "Where are you?" He asks.

"At-" I cough to clear my throat and then answer properly. "At work." 

"Babe... why didn't you tell me that you're feeling low earlier??" 

"I would have done it if you took the time to ask or if you were here." I snap out to make him understand that h can't just disappear for a while and come back as if he was never gone. 

"Lys-" He starts but I quickly cut him off. 

"I still have some work, Shawn..." I say and hang up right after. 

I miss him but I'm not in the mood of hearing his sweet words that could cheer me up but actually don't because it wouldn't change the fact that I miss him. 

I look up and wipe away the tear that ran down my cheek before I head back to my office to take all my things and get out of this building. 

"Who was it to make you come back upset?" Rose says when she spots me packing my things in my handbag. 

"I'm not upset" I grin at her to support what I say. "Are you still staying here?" I ask to turn away her attention. 

She mumbles a 'yes' as an answer and I just walk to her to hug her and say goodbye.

I got out and get in my car to draw up to Josh's place because that's where I spent the whole week since my dad is still at home. I only got back there to pick some clothes and to bring Liam from his soccer games but I didn't talk to either dad or mom. 

They're living their life as if nothing happened and as if I wasn't their daughter which breaks my heart even more than it already was. 

***

"Still working?" I hear Josh coming from the kitchen and joining me on the couch. 

I'm sitting with my laptop on my laps, trying to stay focused on the pictures but my dear friend hangs me out a cup. 

"I've nothing better to do" I reply, looking up at him. 

"Here is some tea... just like you love..." I take the cup and I mouth him a 'thank you' before he continues. "Nothing better to do huh?... not even spending a night, watching some movies with your best friend?" He asks taking my laptop away from me. 

I hold out my hand I'm not keeping the cup with, to try to get back the laptop but I just fail. 

"Please, Josh... I still have a lot to do." I pout, excepting that he'll give up and let me work but, to my great surprise, he doesn't. 

"No way... and what if you spend a night, on an eventual date with your lover?" He says out of nowhere which surprise me and makes me frown at him so much I'm confused. 

"What are you talking about?" I ask, leaning back on the couch. 

He chuckles and lay down the laptop on the coffee table of the living room. 

"Since you shut down your phone, Shawn called me and told me to convince you to go on a date with him... he came back in Toronto a few hours ago..." He admits with a smirk popping up in the corner of his lips. 

My eyes widen and my heart starts beating faster but I quickly shake my head and sip a bit of the warm liquid Josh prepared for me. 

"I'm not going." 

"Yes, you are because you want to and because he texted me every day since he went out of the country to check if you ate well." He says and I miss choking myself with the tea so  much I didn't except that. 

I cough and try to focus back on my friend who's sitting next to me as if it was a normal thing.

"What?? Since when are you two texting behind my back, huh? I mean, you don't even like him!" I say, putting my cup on the table and turning to him to face him. 

"I don't but he cares about your health and so I do, so I kinda put my anger I had for him away and texted him back that you were eating well." He says laying his arm on the back of the couch and I just frow at him while crossing my arms over my breasts. 

"What did you tell him else?" I ask a bit annoyed that he took the time to text my best friend instead of me. 

Why would he even talk to him while he told me that he had no time? 

"Nothing, I didn't tell him about your dad or about you staying at my place... But..." He starts and straightens to get closer to me. "You should talk to him and stop being mad whether at me or at him because we do love you and we just want to help you... and don't even think about hiding me the fact that you're dating him ever again." he chuckles and spread his arms so I can get in them and hug him and that's exactly what I do. 

I don't know what I thought about to hide this to my best friend but now I know that it was no use because even though he doesn't like him, he supports me and I could ask for more. This past week, he has been the shoulder on which I cried and the person thanks to which I laughed while I was feeling down. Not that I feel much better, but still. He kept on telling me that I should see my family but I don't want to yet and I don't know when I will. Maybe tomorrow or in a week. I don't know. I don't know anything so much I'm lost and Shawn doesn't help, he just confuses me even more. 

"I don't wanna go out, Josh..." 

-----

hi everyone! I hope you liked reading this chapter! 

Love you all.

-----