Chapter 11

"Riley...? Are you okay?"

Is that even a question Maria?

Standing up on my feet, I face them with a blank expression. My emotions are shadowed. I can't feel anything.

Slowly, I reach over my halter, I put up the hood, clipping on the built-in mask that shielded my mouth and nose, leaving my eyes clear.

I always do this before a mission.

Before I kill.

Old habits die hard.

The ship rocks heavily beneath us as wave after wave of energy pulsates through me. There's something building, something dangerous.

It feels wicked, it feels powerful, it feels... familiar.

Nick glances over at Natasha. "Natasha, watch you six, Something's up--"

Before he could continue, I curl my hand forward and smack him against the monitors.

Fury couldn't avoid it. His body hits the side of the desk loudly and he groans from the pain, muffling curses beneath his breath.

Natasha is on me instantly. She punches me in the gut, but I easily deflect it with a kick to her side and abdomen.

I react quicker than she does and it doesn't take a genius to see I can easily overpower her.

They are nothing compared to you.

The voice was hypnotic. It was like a comfort from an old friend.

Maria comes up behind me and tries to knock my head, I fold onto her and push her over to Natasha with enough force that it causes both women to stumble backwards.

I branch out the blue green lights, letting it spread across the Bridge, attacking everything and everyone that was unlucky enough to remain where they were.

"Everybody out!" Nick shouts out to the Agents who are trapped in the crossfire as they struggle to leave the area.

Just moments ago I had saved them, but now what was this? Why was their saviour killing them instead?

As the bridge begins to clear out, Nick comes towards me with a stern expression, palm out, his one eye darting sharply at the way the gold light weave in between my long brown hair.

"Stand down, Riley." His command reaches deaf ears. "We don't want to hurt you."

I tilt my head at that. "You already have."

Natasha lunges from my side and Nick uses the distraction to attack head-on.

"Snap out of this, this is the Tesseract!" Both of them worked together to take me down, their punches and blocks packing power.

While Natasha goes for my chest, Fury is dead set on knocking me on my ass.

Maria who had been momentarily dazed by how I threw her across the desk, shouts something to her comm. "The enhanced is out of control, I repeat, the enhanced is out of control! Tony, Steve, get your ass over here!"

Stupid people, they can't beat me.

I could blink an eye and have everyone dead in an instant.

Igniting a swirl of blue and green, I flushed it to Natasha, keeping my hand on her chest and making her gasp as the electricity scrambles her lungs.

She drops at the intense pain, teeth gritted.

"So much for the Black Widow." I snarled darkly, towering over her bent figure, the voice not my own.

Fury whips out a gun and I closed my fist before he could shoot. It crumbles as he fires, the bullet uselessly hitting the ground.