Anakin Skywalker - Goodbye

Anakin nervously wrung his hands in anticipation of what he was about to do

Anakin nervously wrung his hands in anticipation of what he was about to do. He had but a few moments to prepare himself for the hardest task he has had yet to encounter.

"Ani?" you called, your voice sweet and unsuspecting. It was usually like a humming violin in his ears, but now it was a snapped string curled over the pegbox.

"Over here."

Anakin watched as you made it fully into his room and spotted him, standing arms crossed on the balcony. You practically jumped with joy at the sight of him, and it caused his heart to crack. Your eyes, so full of love, were trained fully on him. As you neared him, however, you noticed the puffy eyes and tear stained cheeks.

"Have you been crying?" You asked quietly, reaching a delicate hand out to touch his arm. The breeze from the balcony swept into the dress you were wearing.

Anakin turned away from you, scowling. "We need to talk."

You lowered your hand, crossing your arms defensively in front of your chest. "O-okay," you stammered.

He took a deep breath and tried to gather his thoughts. "I- I never thought I would be something. I never thought I would get the opportunity to leave Tatooine. But then I did, and I found a place that I could belong. That place was the Jedi Order, and I had this dream- this dream to be more. To be a Jedi. So I trained and studied and practiced and now, now I'm there," Anakin said. The breeze had picked up, playing with his dark locks.

"That's great, Ani. I'm happy for you," you smiled. Your eyes were twinkling with tears as if you could see what he was going to say next.

"There's a Jedi code. And I know that if I break it, I'll be throwing everything I worked for away," Anakin explained. "And this code... I can't... Love is forbidden by it. I can't love you."

He slowly spun back around to face you, to look you in those beautiful eyes that he'd likely never see again. You had a hand over your mouth and an expression on your face so broken that his heart shattered right there.

You let out a sob that shook your shoulders. "What? Ani, what do you mean?"

"We can't be together anymore," he whispered.

Neither of the two spoke for a long time. You only cried noisily into your hands while Anakin watched you sorrowfully.

"I understand," you finally managed.

Anakin met your red eyes and stammered, "You- you do?"

You wiped your cheeks with the backs of your hands, sniffling. "No. No, I don't, but I'm going to say that I do so I can walk away," you growled rather angrily. "Goodbye, Anakin."

He could only stare painfully as you gave him a few moments to take any of it back. The breeze had ruffled your hair, causing the loose strands to stick to your cheeks. Anakin's heart started to fall apart as you turned away and began to walk out of his life.

"Goodbye."