16. Somebody Once Told Me The World Was Going To Kill Me

Percy~

I followed Josh out onto the football field. How did I not see it before? It was so obvious.

"So," Josh started, his voice turning to a hiss. "You finally figured it out, half-blood." He spat the last part as if it left a bad taste in his mouth.

I didn't respond. Instead I pulled out Riptide and spun it around in my hand. I had to wait until I knew exactly what I was dealing with.

I vaguely felt Annabeth standing next to me and someone else farther back. I couldn't risk a look behind me though. If I did, I'd be dead. I'd have to figure it out later.

Finally, Josh started his change. His body elongated and his legs joined together. His skin became pale and scaly. Out of his back, he grew pale, bat-like wings. His head shrunk into the head of a snake, as did his feet, the only thing that stayed the same were his bright blue eyes. A double headed snake thing. Sure, why not?

I heard Annabeth gasp beside me.

"That's the Amphisbaena! It was created from Medusa's blood-"

"Not another monster that wants revenge!" I whined. I turned to look at Josh. "Look, it was nothing personal! She tried to kill me, I tried to kill her and she lost. Can we just do this some other time?"

The Josh thing laughed at me.

"I don't want revenge for my mother. Ssshe will rissse again eventually. There isss a plan in play, Persssephone Jackssson. But we now know better than to tell you our plansss. Now, to end the sssuffering of all monssstersss!" Both of his heads hissed. So, he's still cocky as Hell. I can work with this.

"So, let me get this straight. You just want to kill me to be popular in the monster cafeteria? Can't you just, I don't know, date the ugliest monster in school? Is that how it works in Tartarus?" Ah, yes. The sweet sound of sass that will most likely get me killed.

Josh's nostrils (all four of them) flared and he hissed at me. He obviously did not like my sense of humor. Poor guy.

"I will not be insssulted by a mere child! I have lived for thousssandsss of-" I cut him off.

"Thousands of years, blah, blah, blah, you now will kill me, blah, blah, blah, then we fight and I win. Can we just skip to that last part?"

"Percy!" Annabeth warned. "The Amphisbaena is extremely poisonous. One touch of it's fangs could kill 100 grown men. You have to be careful."

"Since when am I not careful?" Annabeth and the monster just looked at me. "Wow. Feeling the love."

I guess the monster took that as its cue to attack. The thing lunged at me and I quickly side stepped, as did Annabeth since she was standing behind me. Josh regained his bearings quicker than most monsters. Before I could move, Josh's long body had knocked me to the ground. I hit my head on a rock that was conveniently placed right where my head would hit it. My vision faded in and out, regaining focus just to lose it seconds later.

When my vision finally cleared, I saw both of Josh's ugly faces hovering over my own, baring their fangs before moving in for the kill. Just as I was preparing to die a slow, painful death, Annabeth tackled the snake to the grass, careful not to touch its fangs.

As fast as the Flash, Josh had made a circle around us, both heads ready to bite us at any given moment. Annabeth grabbed her drakon bone sword out of her backpack and prepared to attack. Annabeth looked at me and we both nodded, understanding exactly what the other wanted to do.

We were about to attack when a sharp bird shaped boomerang impaled itself in Josh's midsection. He didn't even flinch. Instead, he turned one of his heads in the direction of none other than Dick Grayson. What the Hades did he think he was doing? We've told him that mortal metal can't kill Greek monsters!

Yet, here he was. Standing unafraid in the face of his doom. I had to do something to attract all of Josh's attention. But what?

Before I could think of anything, Josh lunged at Dick, knocking Annabeth into another conveniently placed rock and she was out cold. Dick rolled out of the way just a millisecond before he would have been snake chow.

I have to admit, it's pretty brave of him to fight a battle he has no chance of winning. Especially since he is definitely gonna die.

**********

Dicks POV~

I rolled out of the way a millisecond before I was chomped in half. I have no idea what I'm doing, I don't have anything to actually defeat this thing! All that would go through my head was that I had to distract it from Percy and Annabeth.

The thing went to lunge at me again and right before it's teeth sank into my flesh, I heard a big clang!. I looked up and Percy had caught the monsters fangs on her sword. She tried to push it back and get a cut in with Riptide but Not-Josh was too strong. It pushed her back to the ground, dazing her for the meantime. It went in for the kill but I made a split second decision that I would come to regret.

"Hey, ugly!" It turned its attention back to me. "You know, I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception." Not my best but I was more focused on getting the snake thing away from Percy.

Surprise! It worked. One problem solved as a new problem begins. Not-Josh circles around me, hissing and occasionally taking a shot at my legs. I tried my best to jump out of the way of his strikes but in the end I was far too slow. One of Not-Josh's heads went for my feet and as I was distracted his other head went for my back.

Only, I never felt the second head's teeth against my back. I turned around, just in time to see Percy fall, twin holes in her forearm. My eyes widened as I realized what just happened.

"No!" I caught her before she hit the ground, completely forgetting about the murderous snake that was, for some reason, not attacking.

I checked her wound to assess whether it was better than it looked. It was so much worse. Blood was spilling from the wound at a rapid rate and the skin around it was tinted green.

All of a sudden, golden dust exploded all over and was then blown away in a nonexistent wind. I looked up and Annabeth was standing over me with her sword out. Her head was bleeding from when Not-Josh had knocked her to the ground.

She looked at Percy and her eyes widened as tears started to fall. She ran over and keeled next to Percy and I.

"Gods dammit! I told her to be careful! WHY is it she never listens to me!" Annabeth cried between sobs. I couldn't blame her. I was crying too.

I checked Percy's pulse, just to be sure. It was painstakingly low.

A/N Happy Holidays! Sorry I haven't updated in a while. It's been really busy late- Naw. I just forgot about this story. Every time someone commented "update!" I was like "Oh yeah! I'll get it done eventually..." Yeah... Oops! Anyways, as I've said before, if I don't update just yell at me till I do.

Yours in demigodishness, and all that, peace out!✌

PS This is super unedited!

Word Count- 1293