Dua #3 Steadfastness

Assalamu alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu!

How's Roza number 12 going for everyone?

So the lesson for today is something that has shaken me.

From Sura Bani Israil/Isra' :

وَإِنْ كَادُوا لَيَفْتِنُونَكَ عَنِ الَّذِي أَوْحَيْنَا إِلَيْكَ لِتَفْتَرِيَ عَلَيْنَا غَيْرَهُ ۖ وَإِذًا لَاتَّخَذُوكَ خَلِيلًا

(Sahih International)
And indeed, they were about to tempt you away from that which We revealed to you in order to [make] you invent about Us something else; and then they would have taken you as a friend.

-Sura Al-Isra', Ayah 73

وَلَوْلَا أَنْ ثَبَّتْنَاكَ لَقَدْ كِدْتَ تَرْكَنُ إِلَيْهِمْ شَيْئًا قَلِيلًا

(Sahih International)
And if We had not strengthened you, you would have almost inclined to them a little.

-Sura Al-Isra', Ayah 74

إِذًا لَأَذَقْنَاكَ ضِعْفَ الْحَيَاةِ وَضِعْفَ الْمَمَاتِ ثُمَّ لَا تَجِدُ لَكَ عَلَيْنَا نَصِيرًا

(Sahih International)
Then [if you had], We would have made you taste double [punishment in] life and double [after] death. Then you would not find for yourself against Us a helper.

-Sura Al-Isra', Ayah 75

Allahu Akbar. Allah is addressing RasoolAllah Sallallahu Alayhi wa sallam over here.

There are a few things we learn from this :

● Steadfastness is from Allah and Allah alone.

● It is something that can fluctuate. Just because you are a good Muslim now doesn't necessarily mean you are safe forever.

● When you lose your firm footing, you start drifting towards bad company. So really, the company you keep, is the state of your heart or Iman. Because goodness can not co- exist with evil as friends.

● If one commits a bad deed after knowing very well its consequences, he or she will be have greater accountability and punishment.

Astagfirullah!

These verses must be enough to awaken us from our slumber.

Steadfastness in Deen is a great thing. Allah has praised it many times in the Qur'an.

The thing about Steadfastness is that it's a two way game.

One can not expect to have firm feet in the following the Deen unless one strives for it continuously, every single moment of life, warding off Shaytan and the desires of the Nafs.

You can not magically become the Ideal Muslim. Praying 5 times won't come naturally, crying in dua or determination for Nawafil neither.

You will struggle. You will have to keep your intentions in check. You will have to constantly purify your Nafs.

It is not a one time thing, to become a strong soldier of Islam. It requires intensive training of the Nafs every second of every day.

But in these Verses Allah is addressing the Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi wa sallam and saying that "If we hadn't strengthened you, you would've inclined towards them."