Chapter Ten

Hey guys! Welcome back!

So this chapter is, in fact, longer than most chapters I post (yay for that, right?). It's probably because I went into a ton of detail, but whatever.

I based the Fourth of July Festival in this chapter off of my Fourth of July experience yesterday. I had a fantastic time (I love holidays! ;D)!

Remember to follow @code_cherry on Twitter and Instagram, and to vote and comment for more. Enjoy!

SEAN’S POV

I took a deep breath as I stared at my reflection. It wasn’t that I had dressed particularly differently… I just wanted to impress Elise. I’d finally gathered the courage (after a lengthy talk with Maddie and Mike) to ask her out, and I didn’t want to mess up. Not now.

I combed my hair with my fingers so that it flipped to the side instead of hanging in my face, and decided I wasn’t going to be any more ready than I was now. I glanced at the clock. 5:20; ten minutes to get to Elise’s place.

A short few minutes later, I was walking up the steps to Elise’s front door. My hands were shaking lightly, and I clenched them into fists to steady them. Why was I so nervous? It was only Elise, someone who I’d become best friends with in the past few months. There was nothing to worry about.

Yeah. Nothing.

Elise opened the door. Her hair was slightly wavy (as always) and her spectacular blue eyes matched her sundress perfectly. They glittered with excitement as they met mine.

“Hi, Sean!” she greeted with a smile that could light up an entire town. “Ready to go?”

I gulped and found my voice. “Ready if you are.”

“Have fun with your friends, Elise!” called a woman’s voice from somewhere in the house.

“I will, Mom!” she yelled back, stepping out and closing the door behind her.

We met up with the others at the park. It was completely decorated for Independence Day; red, white, and blue as far as the eye could see, American flags everywhere you looked, and kids squealing as they ran from place to place, face paint adorning their faces. Elise just stared at all of it in awe.

“What? You never celebrated the Fourth before?” I asked, giving her a grin.

“Not like this,” she breathed. “It’s fantastic!”

“I’m glad you like it.” I watched Zach and Julio chasing each other around the field, the rest standing a few feet away and laughing at the two. 

It was one of the best nights I’ve ever had. We walked around, playing games and laughing and just being our weird selves. We bought hot dogs and ate them as we walked. Zach almost spit half his hot dog onto Mike because Liam made him laugh so hard. Needless to say Mike avoided standing or sitting next to Zach after that.

At last it was time for the grand finale: the firework show. We chose a spot directly underneath, laying out a picnic blanket that Maddie had brought and managing to cram all of us onto it. A cool breeze played through the area, making the warm night more tolerable. I sat next to Elise, and we watched as the colors began to burst above our heads.

Elise’s eyes were filled with wonder when I glanced at her. “Oh, Sean,” she whispered in awe. “They’re so beautiful… our firework shows at home were never this elaborate.”

“They’ve always been amazing here. I can’t imagine going to any other one.” I ended up watching her more than the fireworks. The light reflected off of her, making her glow several different colors. In those moments… she just looked flawless. Perfect.

Without realizing it, I slipped my hand into hers.

She turned to me with a small gasp. My face burned and I pulled my hand away, mumbling am apology, but she grabbed my hand again with a smile.

“No, it’s alright. I like it,” she murmured, gazing up at me. 

In that moment, I swear we almost kissed, but the others cheered loudly as the finale of the show began, and the sky exploded like never before. Elise just smiled again and let her head rest on my shoulder, her hand still grasping mine.

I felt someone staring at me and turned my head slightly, surprised when I caught Jordan burning holes into the back of my head with his eyes. He looked annoyed. As soon as he noticed me watching him, though, he looked away. It all happened so fast that it was possible I could’ve imagined it.

Shrugging to myself, I rested my head on Elise’s. As the last of the fireworks went off and the crowd cheered, I just let myself get lost in the moment that couldn’t have been more perfect.

In that moment, I was truly happy.

Woo! I hope this advanced the romantic plot a little. So who should Elise's match be? Sean or Jordan? Feel free to give me your opinions! :D

Vote and comment for more! Until next time!

~Cherry