Chapter Six: Blair

The glowing red digits in the clock on my desk taunt me, my eyes bloodshot and hard-pressed to remain alert. But calculus waits for no one, and with the last three nights spent working extra shifts at Reno's, I can barely tell the difference between letters and numbers.

"I'm having withdrawals." Gia slams my locker shut, sending a shockwave through my head.

"Ah." I press a palm to my temple and close my eyes against the light, which has become insufferable the last three days. When I woke slumped over my desk this morning, I barely had enough time to pull on a hoodie and shoes before Gia honked the horn out front. "Easy on the noise, huh?"

She cringes, touching my head softly with the back of her palm. "Right. Sorry. But seriously, B. You need some sleep. And a break." The concern in her face might be touching, if it didn't make me feel so pathetic.

"I already requested Sunday off." After two weeks of double shifts and shitty lunch tips, it was a necessary break. Anyone can see I'm dead on my feet these days. Another full weekend and I'll lose my A average.

As it is, every scrap of cash I earn goes into the secret spot in my closet where it can't be blown on booze. But it's hard to save when you're hemorrhaging money to pay the utility bills.

"Look what the cat dragged in," Becca snickers on her way past, nudging Alicia on the shoulder.

"You look really cute today, Blair." Alicia smirks, sniggering to her friend as they walk past. I am too tired to care, my bones weary and leaden in my arms.

Gia shakes her head, staring after them on their way to the parking lot. "Some people's kids."

Right before they step into her car, I catch sight of Liam and Bradley climbing in the back seat, and my mood sinks.

"It's my fault, you know. You'd be cool if you weren't my friend."

"Excuse you." She pinches my cheeks, forcing me to look her in the eye. "I am cool. And so are you. As for those two, these are the best four years of their lives. It's all downhill from here."

My brow quirks. "Are you reading your mom's parenting books or something?"

"Okay, what the hell happened to you?" She pulls me toward the stairwell and sits beside me as the hallways clear for lunch. I must look even worse than I feel.

"You know what happened. I work too much."

"That's not it. You've been weird ever since the club. Is it that gross guy who tried to grope you? Because we can hunt him down if that's what it takes."

I can't help my smile at the image of Gia tracking a groper. By the time the cops showed up she'd already have him hogtied with an apple in his mouth. "You know how Bradley was at the club?"

She nods, waiting for me to go on.

"I heard him talking to Liam."

"What did he say?"

I shake my head, brushing it off before I can recount the story. "It's stupid. Bradley asked him if he knew me, and he said he 'wasn't impressed,'" I make air quotes with my hands, doing my best to reach the low timbre of his voice. "And Bradley told him I don't get out much."

"I mean...he's not wrong. About the not getting out part," she adds when I shoot her a glare. "So you're a little antisocial. Who cares?"

"I'm not antisocial." I stand, too fast, and ignore the vertigo that threatens to drop me. It's too warm for a sweatshirt, but I can hardly expose my dirty t-shirt if I have any hope of surviving the rest of the year. "You think I like the way those girls look at me?" I point after Becca and Alicia, knowing they are long gone. "You think I want to spend my entire weekend working for tips? I don't get to be social, G."