ONE

Tuesday, January 2nd

"I promise they're not as bad as you think," Isaac tries to convince me for the hundredth time. "It's nothing like the movies."

Isaac, my dear best friend, and the one person in this world who knows me best. I guess sometimes he doesn't quite understand me as well as I think he does, seeing as he's trying to persuade me to go to some overrated high school party on a Tuesday night when I could be studying.

"No is never going to mean yes when you're talking to me, Isaac," I try informing him again, though truly he should know by now.

"I know but you've never been to a high school party before and we're halfway through our senior year! You need to live a little, Mich!"

"I'll live when I secure a spot at an ivy league college."

"Please," He continues with his begging, his eyes practically about to pop out from puppy-dogging so hard. "Early birthday gift?"

I'm still not convinced, seeing as his birthday is weeks away, but I give him a few more seconds to keep going.

"I'll do anything!" He finally offers, "Just one party. Please."

"Anything?" I repeat, a giant smirk plastered on my face.

He nods twice with a twinkle in his eyes and I simply have no choice but to accept his offer. This gives me so many opportunities. I could finally get him to go to that new sushi place in town, or go tubing with my family in the summer after he refused four times last year. He has no clue what he just signed up for.

"When are we going?" I asked, causing his face to break out in a massive grin as he realizes I'm letting him take me to a high school party.

"Right now!"

An obnoxious laugh escapes my lips in response to his ridiculous joke, but his face stands still.

"You can't be serious."

He nods while he hops off of my bed and starts to fix his hoodie. "It's thirty minutes away and we need to stop by my place first."

"What for?"

"You'll see," he slaps on that devious smirk he always wore when he had some mischievous plan cooking up inside his head.

"Okay, but I'm changing first," I tell him, standing up to rummage around in my closet.

"Why?" The impatience is more than clear in his tone. "You look fine."

"If I'm going to this party against my will, I might as well try to look good." I tear through my usual day clothes and instead head straight for something nicer, but warmer to wear.

"It's not against your will if you agreed to it," Isaac mumbles under his breath, though I can hear every word.

"You think Miles will be there?" I can't help but ask, knowing my curiosity would've gotten the better of me either way.

Isaac shrugs. "Probably. All those popular kids will be there."

A short-lived, silent celebration rings in my head at the news. "Another reason to look good."

"As if he'd ever notice you," he teases with a snort.

"Says the one who hasn't had a crush on someone in years."

He rolls his eyes at my comment before leaving my room so I can get changed. And when I return in a turtleneck sweater and some jeans, we make our way to my car.

"Oh, hold on." I stop him as he starts to open my front door. "I have to let my parents know I'll be out."

"Oh, no need. I already told them."