Chapter Eight

Alexander Pov
"How come you believe in God?" Martha asked looking around the inside of a church.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Like I don't understand how it works."

"Do you mean like heaven?" I asked her, rummaging through a few boxes.

"Yeah." She said.

"Well I think of it all more as a concept than an actual solid place." She nodded even though I was pretty sure she didn't understand.

After a couple of minutes I found what I was looking for.
Woop!
I took it, pushed the box of stuff back and walked out of the small room.

"Martha?" I called.

"Where'd you go madame?"

Oh no. I can't prove that Angie's right.

"Hey...M-Martha?" I asked, going through rooms.

I walked outside. "Martha?"

"I'm over here Alex!" She was on a tree, with walkers trying to get her at the bottom.

"Oh crap. Erm...Alright, don't move okay? I'm going to get the walkers away and we'll go."

"Are you going to kill them?" She asked. I didn't answer her.

I pulled out a knife and went behind one stabbing it straight into the head, then another, then...Aw come on! Seriously?!
A kid walker?!
Do I have to kill that?
Please tell me I don't have to kill that. It turned around and growled.
Fuck.
I kicked its chest back and it fell on the ground. I stabbed it.

"You can come down now Martha." I said.

"Okay!" She exclaimed, coming down the tree.

I heard low growling and talking.
Wait.

"Martha get back into the tree."
"Why?"
"Get back in the tree Martha."
"But Alex-"
"Martha just trust me."
"I- Okay."
"Thank you."

I walked slowly to where I heard the talking. "Alexander!" Someone exclaimed, slapping my back, making me stand straight in fear.

"Long time no see." He said.

"Hey Charlie."
"Lee! Who's over there?"
"Oh, nobody."
"Hey Sam. It's Alex." I called.
"Oh. Hey!" Sam yelled back.
"Well not for long.." Lee said taking out a knife.

"On your knees."

"W-what? Charlie we aren't friends?"

"That was before the world ended bud. Now there's no sense of order. Of peace. Killing you would be a blessing my man." He said.

For the first time I was actually scared of...dying? I guess. Mainly the thing that comes after it. What if I was wrong. There is nothing and you float in mindless dark? What if Angie's right and I go to hell? I'll see that bitch there though.

He sighed and pushed me on my knees. "I really didn't want to do this..."

"Then don't? Just a suggestion." I told him.

"Okay for that I'm going to drag this out."

"Wait Wait Wait! Bro I don't care what happened over the course of this year and why you hate me now but there's a kid in that tree over there who'd be absolutely devastated if she had to watch you kill me. For no reason whatsoever." I said, looking for anyway to protect Martha.

High likely she'll get PTSD from watching me get stabbed to death and PTSD sucks.
A fucking shit load.

"Fine...just take off your shirt."
"I'm not taking off my shirt."
"Just do it."
"No!"
"Why not?"
"Charlie I'm not taking off my shirt." "God damn it!"

He ripped my shirt off for me. I felt him Place the knife to my back.

"Why not give you another scar?"

"No. No don't do it. Charlie don't. No. Please." I begged.

"Wait? Lexi doesnt want another scar?"

"No! No, no, no. Charlie please. I have like ten thousand already. Don't do it please."

"This one will be unique. This one will have my name." Lee told me.

He started carving his name in my back before I could protest. I screamed out in pain.

"Shut up! You're going to attach the dead biters!" He hissed, covering my mouth with his hand.

He continued to carve his name. I felt blood trickle down my back. I screamed into his hand and felt tears come from my eyes.

"Alright. Hey Ale- Oh my god Lee What are you doing to him?!" Sam exclaimed.

"Almost done." Charlie said.

When he did his last name he purposely pushed the knife further into my back.
Which I yelled at him for.
He took his hand off mouth and I screamed, "WHAT THE HELL DID I EVER DO TO YOU?!"

And then I fell to my hands and knees.

"Alex? Alex are you okay?" Martha asked.

I saw her get down from the tree.
"F-fuck..Martha go back." I muttered.

"Oh my gosh what did you do to him?!" Martha yelled.

Lee grabbed his knife and carved something else in my back and again I cried out in utter horror and pain.

"When you find out what that one says, you'll be very angry with me." Lee whispered in my ear, while he pulled my hair.

I winced and just lied in the floor, now staring up at the sky. The grass hurt against my new cuts but I didn't care.

"That, my darling, is a broken man." Lee told Martha.

"W-what do you mean?"

"Alright. Lemme explain it to you, there was a ray of light, a hope in Alexander then Sam and I came by...Im only going to guess that he's never going to be the same. Look at him. He's probably not even fully registering our conversation."

"You know what would've been funny?" Sam asked Charlie.

"If you had carved that using his cross." Sam said.

"That would've been funny! Damn I should've done that." Charlie said.
"Anyway, see you two later!" Charlie called, leaving Martha and I alone.

"Alex are you okay?" She asked.

I really thought about that question. It was about three or four minutes before I answered,
"No."