6: Highway to hell.

"What's with the long face?" Sandra asked bumping her shoulders with mine.

"Eh, long face..." At Sandra's question, Lenny tilted her head and stared at my face.

Pushing her face away from my vision with my index finger, I said. "Lenny I will trip if you block my view."

"I didn't mean it literally, Lenny." Sandra chuckled and she got in between us before linking her arms with ours. "Tell us all about it but we gotta get to our class now." Saying this she dragged us towards our classroom.

Classes went by as usual without any incidents or Jayden's teasing even though he was in all of my classes. He was suspiciously well behaved and didn't bother me, not once which irked me because something was off about him.

"So what's bothering you?" Sandra asked taking a seat on our usual lunch table, Lenny sitting beside her while I took the seat opposite of theirs.

Releasing a long sigh, I told them what had happened in the morning.

Everything was normal, like always. I woke up when my alarm went off, did my morning rituals, got ready for school and went down to kitchen for breakfast- that's when everything went downhill.

"I feel terrible for Jayden." I heard dad say as soon as I made an entrance in the kitchen. Harper was oddly quiet occupying the stool to the right of dad's so I took the left vacant stool. Mum was at the opposite side of the island making breakfast for us.

"Good morning." I greeted everyone with a smile before placing a kiss on dad's cheek which earned me one from him. That was our usual habit.

"And what happened to Jayden? Is he injured? Got in a accident? Fractured his arm or legs or his whole body?" I asked feigning a surprised look. I wish he was in a deep trouble so that he'd leave me alone.

I raised an eyebrow at Harper's glare not quite getting the reason for her sudden hostility towards me.

"No sweetheart. Didn't you hear? Someone scratched his brand new car." Mum was the one who filled me in, a disgusted look on her face probably at the unknown culprit.

As soon as mum said that, i met Harper's hostile stare and it looked like she was saying 'YOU'RE THE CULPRIT'.

Looking away from her, I focused on dad who started talking again. "I suggested him to report the police. No one scratches a brand new buggati Chiron and gets away with it." He started to put more stress with every word he said until he banged his fist on the island, his face red.

Uh-oh, the spot where dad hit on the island would have been my head if he only knew.

I know how much dad loves cars and how he treats one as his own child. And to make the situation worst, he considers Jayden as his son and cars too so that's double trouble for me.

Harper's shoulders hunched and her head ducked at dad's obvious change in mood and started eating her breakfast quietly.

"Honey, calm down." Mum said softly, her hand placed on top on dad's which was formed in a fist.

Dad visibly relaxed but the anger was evident in his eyes, not at us but at the culprit who he didn't know was sitting beside him with her breakfast before her which was turning cold because she was currently scared out of her wits unable to eat.

Shaking his head as if realising something, dad started talking again. "And what angers me more is that the wrong doer fled from the scene when he should have apologized and taken responsibility for his actions."