"It's okay, baby, Noah is taking a much-needed nap."

"But Mommy, Noah promised he was going to play with me, they can't do that, they can't."

The mother puts a hand over her mouth to stop the sobs that desperately wanted to leak out as the little girl starts tugging on her hand, her own eyes filling with tears as she watches her brother be put to rest not knowing he was never to wake again.

~ • ~

I lingered near the dirt patch, staring down at the what finally sealed the end of Noah's life, lost in my thoughts, a haze falls over my sight. I didn't move from the spot until fingers brushed against my forearm, only did I break my gaze away and stare up at Xavier as he hovers beside me.

"It's time to go," he utters, voice deep.

I nod, letting him pull me away and in the direction of the packhouse, I couldn't go back home, not when so many painful members now drenched it inside and out. I relied on the sparks that ran up and down my arm from Xavier's touch like a voltage shock, they kept me above the dark waters that washed and crashed against my control.

"Excuse me?!"

I look over my shoulder to see Noah's mother catching up while holding her daughters' hand and gently tugging her along, I come to a full stop once she's closer. She halts in front of me, centimeters shorter than I and looks me dead in the eye.

"Tell me what happened," she breathes out, eyes searching mine, "tell me the truth of what happened to my baby. I need to know." she pleads, tears already starting to form in her eyes.

I look her over, identifying the same exhaustion in her stance that also consumes mine, my gaze flickers down to the little girl hiding behind her leg and clutching tightly to her hand. Her wide red-rimmed eyes stare up at me, innocence shining within.

"The arrow was meant for me," I speak, slowly shifting my eyes back towards the mother, she stares on with watery eyes.

"That arrow was meant to end my life, yet, he stepped in front of me, risking his."

Thinking I didn't have any more tears to shed, one lone tear glides down the curve of my cheek, slowly. The mother blinks slowly up at me, the wind bristling her hair into her face, gentle fingers brush the strands back as she nods her head.

"I see," she blinks rapidly, averting her eyes away from mine to look down at the girl hugging her leg.

She rubs her back and gives her an unsteady smile before turning her attention back to me.

"Thank you, for being the friend my son needed, even if it was for only a short time."

As I look into the eyes of a broken mother who lost her firstborn, I start to think if I would still be looking at the same woman if I hadn't met Noah.

With words stuck in my throat, I give her a small smile, nodding in acknowledgment; as a parting she dips her head slightly before shuffling away, my eyes following the broken family. Deep breathes pass through my being, stuttering past my lips before I'm able to turn away, my back to the grave that holds someone stronger than myself.

Xavier and I walk towards the car in silence, nothing more to say, scream, or cry about, he was gone and there was nothing that would bring him back. Xavier opens the door for me, moving to the side as I slide in the seat before he reaches around me to buckle me up, freezing a few inches from my face. One of his hands rested on my thigh, even though we were the same body temperature now, I could feel the warmth from his hand seeping into my jeans.