Entry 22

5th September, XXXX

"Liana, dear! You must be worried sick!" Mother rushed to my side and gave me a huge hug.

Mother and my brothers then started to praise Sebastian. How smart he was... what a nice trick he pulled on the traitor... how well he treated the whole family... They were all beaming with pride. As if Sebastian was their family instead of me. 

King Louis and Father were also laughing heartily and once again showering Sebastian with praises.

King Louis said, "I don't plan to stay on the throne any longer. Do you think being a King is easy? So many paperwork! Sebastian, you continue to do what you're doing. Don't you dare dragging me back on the throne!"

"Someone wants to get onto the throne no matter what and yet you wish to get off it," Father piqued. 

"I have had my fair deal of 'your majesties', it's now Sebastian's turn. I have a great retire plan in front of me. By the way, it's time your daughter and my son get married. It's even harder to be a King without his Queen." King Louis winked. 

"Wedding!" With just this magic word, Mother's eyes sparkled. You could see the gears in her tiny head turning, no doubt already finished planning our wedding and already moving onto the (not going to happen) baby shower's party. "Yes! What kind of wedding do you want Liana?"

"Nothing," I replied. 

"No... what? Don't be silly, how can you not have a wedding? It's the King's wedding!"

Amid all the confused faces, I knew Sebastian understood what I meant. He frowned upon hearing my reply. What a rare sight.

"Liana... I know you're angry because I deceived you, but you know there is no better way. It's for the best that no one knows my father or your family is still live."

Can't he trust me? Did he think I would go tell everyone my family is still alive and everything is false? Did he think I would go tell Lord Bentley? I am on his side! I even dared leaving my family in his hand because I trusted him. Did he repay me with even one tenth of my trust for him? No! 

"You have executed your plan perfectly. I have done my side of the promise, please keep your promise."

"What promise, Liana? What is going on between the two of you?" Mother demanded.

"I am sorry, Mother," I whispered. I knew this marriage is the last linkage between Mother and her best friend, the late Queen Henrietta. 

But this is my life. Even though I might have feelings for Sebastian, it just doesn't work out. Last life, this life. Every time I tried to trust him, every time I tried to get close to him, I got hurt. I am tired. 

"Keep your promise, Sebastian." 

Sebastian's face turned pale. "Liana... I... "

"Please."

With a tiny sigh, he turned and faced King Louis. "Father, I promised Liana I will break off our engagement after this farce with Lucien."

"What? Liana, did Sebastian do something wrong? Tell us, we'll punish him!" King Louis shouted angrily.

See, everyone is so nice to me. But not suitable is not suitable. 

"No, it's all..."

"It's all my fault," Sebastian cut in before I could finish apologizing. "It's all fault, I am sorry Lord and Lady Cain." He dropped his head and gave my family a deep bow. "Everything is my fault."

"Sebastian, you'd better explain what is going on! How can you treat Liana like this? She has been betrothed to you since she was born! How can she get married now if you, the King, break off the engagement?" King Louis' face was red with anger. He looked like he was second away from pulling out his sword and stab Sebastian with it. 

"Everything is my fault. I will compensate for the damage I bring. The estate on Coral Cliff, my fortune... They'll be Liana's."

"I don't need your money, Sebastian! I just... We're just... I can't take those things."

"Those things are yours. Whether if you marry me or not, they are yours, Liana." Sebastian looked straight at me in the eyes without wavering. I looked at my reflection in his eyes. 

That's when it hit me, it has been a long time since I looked straight in the eyes at Sebastian. I even forgot what shade of blue his eyes are. 

From the time gossips started circulating? Or even before that? Why did I start avoiding his eyes? Because I knew his gaze would be as cold as the winter breeze? Because I knew he would be disappointed in me, his Queen who only brought misfortune? Or was it simply because I lost confidence in myself? I simply no longer wanted to see the timid girl reflected in his eyes. 

Where has Liana Cain gone? 

"Liana." A corner of Sebastian mouth quirked up, with a quick pat on my head, he whispered, "Be happy." 

Then he was gone from the room. Gone from my life. 

Goodbye Sebastian. 

------------------

Author's note

Liana's decision. Do you agree with it? What will happen to the both of them? 

Thank you every single reader! This story hits 26.3k! I can't believe it! I hope you enjoy this story!

P.S. I wonder how did you guys discover this story?