Twenty-Nine••Mysterious Return

"Mel?"

What in the...

Breathless, Valnia crawled over to the unconscious Melaynia and flipped her onto her back. Lexa followed her and together they dragged Melaynia farther from the ice, brushing off her face and clothes.

"What... happened?" Lexa's gaze moved between the pink bubble of an island to where Melaynia lay, unmoving.

"How would I know?" Valnia yanked her gloves off and snuck her finger under Melaynia's neck to check her pulse. "She flew to us! Like someone had the knowledge we were here, waiting for her!" She blew out a breath of relief when she sensed her sister's veins throbbing, and her chest slowly moving. "She's asleep. Knocked out? They... threw her out?"

As Lexa kneeled to shove Melaynia's messy hair out of her face, Melaynia coughed, spat, mumbled something incomprehensible, and moaned as she curled up into a ball. Her eyes were closed, her limbs stiff, as if trapped in a vision of horror.

"We have to carry her," said Lexa, slipping her arms under Melaynia's middle. "And fast. She's not wearing enough protection against the cold."

Valnia took her sister's legs and together they heaved her up, to trudge the way they'd come. She was light, but her extremities turned to jelly.

The uniform wasn't the standard one given by the Eldians. The layers were thin, the patterns on the buttons were different, and the material was silky, smoother. Richer.

"Did they torture her? Hurt her?" Valnia's steps were uneven and she worried she'd trip. "She's depleted of energy."

Melaynia whimpered, further messing with Valnia's strength.

"We can't check until we're home. I'd rather not undress her and inspect her for wounds here. We have to get to the Wall, to the light." Lexa's tone was trembling, but she held Melaynia without loosening her grip. "Once she's warm and fed, maybe... she'll wake up."

Melaynia wriggled about in their arms, whispering, making no sense.

"They've... driven her insane." She chewed on her lip to not release a moan, a cry, a scream.

Mel... what have I gotten you into?

They fell into a comfortable silence as they followed their footsteps, and then the markings Adilo had left for them when he was operating the crystals. Every few yards they paused, listened for rebels or recruits, then resumed their trek.

To their dismay, after half an hour of carrying, running, stopping, resuming, Lexa halted and crouched. With no other choice, Valnia did the same, but had no clue what was going on.

Lexa scanned the area before them, her eyes wide and alert.

"What is it?" murmured Valnia, unable to see whatever Lexa saw.

"Shh," Lexa nudged her, "wait."

She spotted nothing.

My training must be off, or Lexa is paranoid.

After a few moments, footsteps came from a few dozen feet ahead. And accompanying them were three figures, their boots digging into the snow, their faces veiled. Cloaked in heaps of warm clothing, it was impossible to decipher their allegiances.

"Rebels?" Valnia held her breath, keeping her sister close.

Lexa angled over Melaynia's torso and squinted at the arrivals. "I... don't think so."

The steps slowed as Lexa shot up, bracing for an attack. They stopped, slurred, stuck their daggers out—but one slid forward as its familiar gaze found Valnia.