Inning 15 ★ Go Big or Go Home

Homecoming arrived too quickly.

The game, that was.

During the course of the week my dad had announced what Santi's and McCann's punishment would be for acting like dickheads in practice last week. They were suspended from the first official game of the season. I was nervous as hell about this decision. Much as I hated McCann, I had to admit he was one of our best players. And Santiago was our best, period. We were at a severe disadvantage without them. My dad and I were expecting this game to go to shit, so we'd need to put extra effort for the next ones if we wanted a chance at catching up on the standings. He and I had a few ideas already.

The two stooges sat next to me on the bench as we watched the rest of the team warm up before the game started. Even though not having them on the team sucked and we were most likely going to lose, I agreed with my dad. They had to understand that there were rules and that those rules, under the eye of two O'Hares, were not to be broken.

"This sucks," McCann said under his breath.

"I never thought I'd agree with you, but you both deserve it." They had the decency not to meet my eye. "Take your petty fights off the field."

"Aye, Captain," he said. I was fluent in sarcasm and I knew that was how he meant it.

"We're going to lose and it's your fault," I said, with much more venom than I wanted.

Santi flashed me a look but remained silent. McCann didn't know such restraint. "Glad one of our so called coaches has that much confidence in our team."

I shrugged. "It's not a matter of confidence. It's a matter of cold blooded intellect. I know that our team is heavily driven by emotions. There is a lot of confusion going on about what was so important for you both to get into a fight-"

McCann tried to interrupt. "You-"

Santi elbowed him and McCann shut up, just so he could focus all his ire on the glare he set on Santi, instead of on his mouth running off. Still, that was weird.

"And also, the fact that you're both not playing brought morale down in general. Look at them," I said, and they both faced our friends as they stretched. They looked like they'd rather be at home getting ready for their dates. "You both are among the top players and what you do has a huge influence in all of them, especially the freshmen and sophomore."

I folded my arms. Okay, so Santi and I had made up over the weekend. That didn't mean I stopped being mad at him for having the great idea of fighting in the middle of practice.

"Have some conscience of how your actions affect the team." I finished off.

Santi saluted with a languid arm. "Yes, ma'am."

I pushed my knee against his. "Take this seriously."

Dad and the remainder of the bench returned. He said, "Here goes nothing."

The game started and it was long and painful. Some of our guys reacted too late to the ball and other times they'd be too quick in trying to anticipate it. I screamed myself hoarse, trying to tell them to read the path of the ball instead of fucking chasing it. The umpire got mad and ordered me to not come out of the bench because I was disrupting the game. My dad grabbed me on time before I was able to show the umpire what I thought of him with my middle finger.

At some point McCann asked dad to let him play. Both my dad and I said no in unison and that was that. We lost 3-1. Dad drove Santi and I home and I was fuming.

"Is nobody going to say anything?" I asked.

"Not really," said Santi from the back.

My dad said, "I'm good."