Day 1

chapter 2: memory 1

~*~

"This is my house," I say to Mary as we enter my large home. She looks around in awe and I try not to frown. She never talked about the different size of our houses, but now...

"Your home is so much bigger than mine." she whispers.

"Anyway... let me go get the jar."

"The jar?" she questions.

"Yes, the jar." I repeat before rushing upstairs. I grab the large glass jar and quickly go back downstairs where Mary was standing in the same spot.

"What is that?" she asks, pointing at the jar in my hands.

"It's our memory jar," I crack a smile, "it has all of our memories from this past summer, starting from day one."

She raises an eyebrow. "That's... cliché."

I laugh, "Yeah, well it was your idea babe."

She goes silent at the word 'babe' and I bite my lip, mumbling a, "sorry."

"You said you were my best friend. You're my best friend right?"

"Yes." is all I say as I gesture for her to follow me. We walk outside and on our walk towards the hill, I think about what the doctor told me. He had said that Mary was able to get her memory back. She had temporary amnesia. To get her memory back, there had to be a certian thing that she sees, or hears, ect. that shocks her back to her memory. I had no idea what I was going to do to help her get her memory back, but then I remember the stupid jar. I never knew how thankful I would become for that jar until then.

The jar held all of our memories from the summer, and maybe one of them would be just good enough to get her memory back. It could be watching fireworks because she loved fireworks so much. It could be the memory of getting a poloroid camera and taking pictures downtown that got her memory back. Who knows if any of them will even work, and if one of them do who knows which one it will be. My plan was to tell her one memory from the jar on each day of August. Today was August first, meaning I would take out the first memory. There being thirty one days in August, it works out perfectly for the 31 memories in the jar.

We get to the top of the hill and sit down. I set the jar in front of me on the grass and look at Mary. "We were sitting here when you told me your idea of making this memory jar."

"Did we come up here a lot?" she asks and I nod.

"Do you have any other questions before I pull out a memory?"

"Yeah," she says, "Where do we live?"

I laugh. "We live in Chino, California. Anything else?"

"Where is my dad?" she asks, this time with a queit and sad voice.

"Your mom hasn't told you?"

"She doesn't tell me anything." she frowns.

"We'll talk about your dad when I pull out memory 12."

She nods without saying anything and I realize she doesn't have anymore questions, so I stick my hand into the jar and pull out one of the colored papers. I knew the memories wouldn't be in order since they were all shuffled in the jar, so when I picked the first paper, it was memory number ten.

Memory #10: Going to Nash Grier's Party.

Mary and Cameron entered their friend Nash's home to see people from school everywhere. The smell of sweaty bodies and alcohol filled their nostriles when they stepped inside. They already had a plan for Mary to go find her two friends and for Cameron to find his friends. It wasn't just them two all the time; they had their own friends too.