🔱 Chapter Fourteen 🔱 Part 1

Start from the beginning

Luckily for them though they reached the top of the hill and the sight of the village that finally came into view had relief sweeping through Abidah's body.

"Whenever I get to finally rest I'll never take lying down in a bed for granted ever again." Mumbled Abidah as she tried to discreetly rub her butt.

The village, or Dowent as it was called, was a relatively small one but it housed more than six inns and that alone made the little village a major landmark for travelers. Evera had made sure they knew everything about the village and the people that lived there before they set foot in it.

So as their horses made it past the wrought iron gates of the village they weren't surprised to see the little town bustling with people. Evera had warned them that even though Dowent was small the population far exceeded the size of the area. And it was because of this increased population why the buildings were stacked so close to each other and so high on top of each other – at least four to five stories.

They didn't get to stare too long at the passing faces because Evera led them quickly through the little town. They came to a stop in front of a very tall, narrow building that was wedged between two other buildings. Carved in impossibly grey stone and falling apart at the seams the building looked ancient. It had a sign hanging from the rafters, swinging wistfully on one hinge looking just as beat up and old as the building itself. The sign read, PEPPER'S BOOKS & THINGS, at least that's what Abidah thought it said for the paint was so chipped and cracked you could barely make any of the words out.

"What are we doing at a bookstore?" asked the young prince who unlike the others had yet to come down from his horse. Abidah was wondering the same thing, her curiosity peaked. If this was where they were to find the soothsayer then it was totally not what she was expecting.

"Madam Pepper is very unconventional, rules and traditions irritate her greatly. She's a bit of a rule breaker and being what she is her identity has to be kept under wraps so what better way to hide than in plain sight." Replied Evera who was making her way up to the narrow steps that led up to the big green door of the store. "Come on follow me, the quicker we get to see her the quicker we get to some answers."

Abidah couldn't agree with her more. They hitched the horses to the post in front of the building with Abidah placing Ashkelon the farthest away from the rest then followed behind the colorfully dressed woman. The two guards however did not follow, they were to stay outside to watch out for any signs of Bartholomew and his men. They might have escaped from their grasps but no one was taking any chances.

Old was the first word that came to mind when Abidah saw the exterior of the bookstore and this would get you thinking that it's the same on the inside. There goes that thought, thought Abidah to herself as she stepped into the inner recesses of the store.

Inside was old, but not like broken down old, everything was...anciently new. It was like taking a step back in time to the days where hanging chandeliers, hardwood floors and engraved furniture were the rage. The room was dimly lit but from what Abidah could see everything was neatly put in place and not only that, the room was surprisingly large. For a moment she contemplated stepping outside again to compare the size of the room to its exterior. Where the building was narrow on the outside it was wide as it was tall on the inside. Abidah could hardly believe her eyes and it seemed she wasn't the only one who was confused by the structure they were standing in for the others also had similar frowns on their faces.

"Wait here, I'll be back in just a minute." Said Evera to them as she walked off and disappeared behind a door they had not seen when they entered.

"So, am I the only one wondering what the hell is going on with this room?" asked Maurie who was standing in the center of the room with her arms akimbo, her eyes looking curiously at every little thing.