July Eighth

Written by: Shyla, admin at Writers Coming Together to Write

     Let’s discuss the story in a whole!

        When I say the story in a whole, I mean the exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution.

        Exposition is a great way to start introducing the characters and anything important about them that may be relevant later on in the story. Don’t give away too much in your exposition, though! If you’re having trouble getting started, then try to start with an ordinary day for your characters and get them introduced.  Sometimes, this makes it easier to set the stage for the rising action.

        For the rising action, start hinting a bit more at twists in your story, but remember to keep it at a minimum. You want to save the big twist for your climax. When you are writing the rising action, this should be one of the easier parts of your story since you’ve gotten all your characters established.

        The climax should be closer to the end of the story. The climax is when you reveal the twists and where anything important that was mentioned in the beginning should start coming into play. This sets the stage for falling action and your resolution.

        You want to use the falling action and resolution to tie up any loose ends, but start with the smaller things. Tie up any little unimportant things in the falling action, the resolution should be left for the big things that need to be finished off.

        Happy Writing!