Believe in Me- Chapter 22: Trust No One

Sherlock and Flora eventually left the dark warehouse and came onto a sun filled runway where a private jet awaited. John kept his distance from Irene throughout the whole journey. She must have said something something that had offended or disgusted him. Sherlock was still thinking about Flora's mention of her brief encounter with Moriarty. What if Jim had known that she was coming to Baker Street and that's why he wanted to kidnap Flora; to get at Sherlock? Or was it just a coincidence? But the universe is rarely so lazy.
The plane landed in Hong Kong a couple of hours later, it was dark and raining. The opposite of the weather in Shanghai. Irene stated that she had sorted out a place for the 3 of them to stay.
"So are you still up for that party?" She asked Sherlock as they all got into a black chauffeur driven car.
"Not particularly," Sherlock replied. "Then again, there's always a consequence if I refuse."
"There could be," Irene looked as innocent as possible and then made eye contact with the detective.
"But that would be telling. I don't want to spoil any surprises."
"Surprises don't exist in my book," Sherlock retorted. "I've seen an heard every possible scheme under the sun. The Moriartys have grown ever so predictable."
"You won't be saying that when you find out what Jim has in store," Irene glared at him. She quickly glanced at Flora and John, then back to Sherlock.
"It will be spectacular," Irene smiled sarcastically, but she had a hint of seriousness in her voice.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Soon, they arrived at an ancient Chinese style mansion. John and Flora were instantly fascinated, while Sherlock seemed as though he'd seen it all before. Irene led them all inside, which resulted in gasps of awe from Flora.
"This is beautiful!" She cried.
Indeed it was. A white marble staircase was set before them with two golden dragon statutes at either side of the stairs. A magnificent crystal chandelier hung from the ceiling and old fashioned Chinese lamps led their way around the walls.
"I do hope you enjoy your stay here," Irene said sounding pleasant. "Although, there's no doubt your dear brother will be searching for you, seeing as you're missing from your flat." She looked to Sherlock who sighed at the mention of his brother.
"Luckily I told Mycroft there was no need to panic," Sherlock assured. " Good for you, I suppose, as you won't be getting caught today. Then again, I can quite easily call him if things get out of hand and then the British Government will be after you again."
"But dear, there's no need for you to do that," Irene said darkly, but there was a flash of worry in her eyes.
"You better watch yourself then," Sherlock told her with equal darkness. Then he walked away from the Dominatrix and went to join Flora and John who were examining a miniature jade statue of a dragon.
"Hey Sherlock?" said John.
"Yes?"
John turned the statue around to reveal a small yellow symbol on the tail of the dragon.
"Isn't that from the case with the jade hairpin?" He asked.
"Yes," Sherlock nodded. "Moriarty might still be running the Black Lotus. It's funny how this statue is made of jade too..."
"What's the Black Lotus?" Flora asked interrupting Sherlock's thoughts.
"It was a case we had to deal with months ago," he responded. "A Chinese gang that were spray painting symbols just like this all over London. It turns out they were a message to members of the Black Lotus and they were all after a jade hairpin that was worth nine million pounds."
Flora's mouth fell open in shock at the mention of such a high price for something that seemed so worthless.
"I bet this is worth more," Flora indicated to the dragon.
"Would you like me to show you to your rooms?" Came the voice of Irene, who was waiting by the staircase.
"If you must," Sherlock sighed. So he, John and Flora followed Irene up the stairs and they landed on a long and narrow hallway with with many rooms and ornaments.
"I see you took a fancy to that statue," Irene said to Flora.
"Oh yes. It's very nice," she replied politely. "In fact, it's rather stunning."
"Indeed it is," Irene agreed. "It's far from meretricious. It's priceless."
"I also see that it has been marked by the Black Lotus," Sherlock inputted. "Is Jim still running that?"
Irene shook her head. "No, they disbanded a while ago. General Shan had to be dealt with; she failed her mission, so off she went."
"So extremely valuable items are no longer meaningful?"
"They are to everyone, dear, but no. Not to Jim anyway. Then again, it's not for me to say."
"You can spay what you wish," said Sherlock trying to force Irene to let some information slip. "No one's going to stop you."
"Not at this moment in time, they're not. They will eventually and I'm not putting my life on the line again. Nice try Sherlock," Irene smiled and winked which made Sherlock pull a face.
"Suit yourself," he mumbled as they all came to a door at the far end of the everlasting hallway. John and Flora looked relieved that they had finally come to the end of the hike, as well as being glad that they could finally get rid of Irene and get som answers out of Sherlock.
"This is where I leave you," Irene informed. "All your stuff is in there."
"What stuff?" John questioned looking puzzled. "We didn't bring anything with us."
"I've sorted out some attire for you all. Aren't I kind?" She asked rhetorically. Irene handed a key to Sherlock and then left in a hurry.
"We can't trust her," said Sherlock immediately and then unlocking the door.
"I had a feeling you'd say that," John muttered. "I mean, it's obvious that you wouldn't trust anyone working for Moriarty anyway."
"I know that," he scowled. "But I'm warning you both. No matter what Irene tries to drag you into, you must stay away. Do you understand?"
"Perfectly," Flora replied. John rolled his eyes and eventually nodded in agreement.
"Good. Now let's go and make ourselves at home," the detective commented sarcastically.
The trio entered the room and like the rest of the mansion, was magnificently decorated and well kept in terms of cleanliness.
"Irene sure knows what luxury is," Flora smiled observing a painting on the wall.
"See? She's dragging you in already," Sherlock warned. "Don't get used to it. Her hospitality may seem warm and welcoming, but Irene isn't."
Flora's smile faded a bit, nonetheless she continued to look at her surroundings. The room was huge and absolutely spotless: flame-lit Chinese lanterns hung on the walls which illuminated the area, the floor was wooden unlike the outside, all sorts of artefacts were scattered around and 3 single beds were hidden around the corner. There was also a kitchen, a space with different styles of chairs and a balcony over looking a Chinese themed garden.
"I think I'm going to like it here," John grinned.
"You have to remember tha-" Sherlock started, but was cut off by Flora.
"Take a break Sherlock! We understand what you're trying to say, but you need to relax. Everything will be fine." She smiled reassuringly. Sherlock tried to smile back, which resulted in more of a 'you'll be sorry' sort of look...

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Sorry this has taken a while, but other things have gotten in the way....

THANK YOU FOR 1K READS