Part 12 (ending)

Masky POV

I had changed into dry clothes and we'd eaten dinner, well, me, Toby and Jack had eaten dinner. The others had either locked themselves in their rooms or gone out. 

After dinner Jack had gone up too the med wing to do whatever Jack did there and Toby disappeared somewhere. I sighed and started to take care of the dishes that they'd left. 

• • •

It was getting late and I hadn't seen Toby since dinner and I started to get worried, I knew that he still wasn't as happy as he seemed and I just didn't want him to do anything... I decided to go look for him. First I looked in my room but he wasn't there I then walked into the living room in case he was playing games with BEN or playing with Sally or something but of course he wasn't there either, I mean, why would things be easy for once?

It took me about thirty minutes to find him, the mansion was pretty big...and I wasn't the best at looking for people. He was in his room, of course that was the first place I should have looked.  It had started to rain earlier that day and the rain was pattering against the open window. The room was chilly and Toby was sitting in the corner with a blanket wrapped around him. 

"Toby?" I asked. His head jerked up, his eyes were filled fear and he didn't seem to recognize me at first.

"How are you?" I asked in a soft voice.

"I'm sorry, it was just a bad memory." He mumbled,  tears quietly running down his face. He wouldn't look me in the eyes. I took the few steps to cross the room and sat down beside him, I put an arm around him and pulled him closer.

"Want to tell me about it?" I asked.

"No, it's okay." He paused for a second. "Can I?"

"Of course." 

He leaned his head back against the wall and looked up att ceiling. He thought for a moment. "Do you know how I got here?" 

"No, I don't know anything about anyone's life before this..." 

"I used to have a sister, she was older than me and she was amazing. She was always so kind to me and I loved her more than anything. Our dad used to come home drunk and I used think he really hated us, he would get angry for nothing and beat up whoever was close enough. He hated me the most but she was always trying to protect me, she would push me into my room and lock the door. I could hear her try to fight back but she never succeeded, after a while I would hear her scream in pain and the only thing I could do was sit there and wait. I hated it and I never understood why she did it, I can't feel it so what does it matter?"

I listened carefully, this was the first time I had ever heard him talk about his life before and he was like an entirely different person when he spoke about her, his eyes looking into empty space and his voice soft.

"One day the two of us were on our way into town and-" His voice cracked. "...There was a car...And then a tree... I think I hit my head because the only thing I remember is the blood, it was blood everywhere." He took a deep breath and looked down at his hands. 

"She died in the hospital later that night... I just wish it would have been me who died, she didn't deserve it. You know what? He wouldn't even come to see her, she was his daughter and he wouldn't even come to see her. I thought I hated him before but then... I remember the voices telling me to hurt him and that's the only time I could agree fully with them, he deserved to die." 

He looked at me and smiled without humor. "Think you can guess what happened after that."

"You killed him?" I asked but I already knew the answer, of course he did, how else would he have ended up here?

"I did. And I do not regret it for a moment." We stayed silent for a while before I spoke. 

"Why did you do it?" I asked.

"Do what?"

"Try to- You tried to kill yourself..." I said, the last part barely audible. 

He seemed to think for a moment. "Because I couldn't see the point of my life, I always tried to help everyone an make them happy but every time I got to happy myself I just annoyed everyone and ruined things. So I tried to stop being so happy because I hoped that if I just was more like everyone wanted they'd like me but they didn't. ...I've always hated it, being alone I mean, I couldn't even get one friend in a house full of people just as crazy as I am? I started to think it was something wrong with me." He paused for a moment and then laughed a little. 

"More than the obvious I mean. Then the voices returned and when they're here it feels like they control me and kinda replaces everything else, I'm already physically numb and I just couldn't take loosing my emotions too."

He sighed and leaned his head against my shoulder and I hugged him tighter. We sat like that for a while just staring into empty space. 

"We should go." I said and when I didn't het an answer I looked down and saw him sleeping against my shoulder. I smiled a little to myself and leaned down to pick him up. 

Nothing really happened on our way back to my room, mostly because it isn't very far and there isn't really anything that could happen. I pushed open the door with my shoulder and proceeded to put him down on the bed. I tried to let go but he grabbed my hand. "Please don't go." He murmured, still half asleep. 

I hesitated for a moment before laying down beside him. "Good night Toby." I whispered and put my arms around him. He murmured something inaudible and snuggled up against my chest. It felt oddly right laying there with Toby's small body in my arms. "It'll be okay I promise." I whispered, already knowing I wouldn't get an answer. 

Wow... I just finished my first story... I really, really hope you liked it and thank you sooooo much for reading! <3333

Sadly it'll take a while for the sequel because I won't have a computer over the summer =(

Have a wonderful day/nigh/ whatever!! xD