Public School

"Seems like the whole city go against me, every time I'm in the streets I hear Yah Yah Yah!" I sang along to Kendrick Lamar's Maad City as I slipped on my clothes for school happily. I smiled running my finger through my ringlets in my hair. I pulled on my denim shorts with the suspenders, then my paisely pink shirt that was kinda designed like a bandana. Since the suspenders were just denim straps on the shorts I slung them over my shoulder, and slipped on my all black Tims. Yeah I still wear Tims, so what, I know the black Tims are a weird combo with my fit, but I like it. Since all my hygiene stuff was done I sprinted downstairs.

"Daddy it's time to take me to school!" I yelled once I was downstairs. I know it's crazy for me to be excited about going to school, but if you finally convinced your dad to let you go to a public school two years after being at a snobby ass private school you didn't belong in you'd be happy too.

"Girl I know, get your over excited ass in the car." I grabbed my bookbag from by the stairwell, and sprinted to the garage.

"Now Zahra, you know the deal stay away from anybody that's in with them Lords."

"Dad I know, if they not with us they against us." Confused? Let me explain, my name is Zahra Skye Phillips, daughter of Roland "Flash" Phillips he's the leader of one of the biggest gangs in Los Angeles, the Guardians. The Lords are our rival gang, well actually just my dad, and my brother's rival. They don't want me in the game which is why I was at a private school unlike my older brother who went to public school. Now back to the issues between the Guardians, and Lords it goes back I think to like the fifties, two guys wanted to run Compton, and neither was willing to let the other have it so they each got ahold to different people from different sides of Compton , and the war began. The Phillips' have always been over the Guardians, and the Brown's have always been over the Lords. Now don't get it twisted just because my mom, dad, and brother don't want me in this doesn't mean they don't educate me on it. My mom really doesn't say anything because she stopped approving of it when she had my brother and me.

"Zahra, girl are you listening to me?"

"Huh, what you say daddy?"

"I said you riding home with Julian cause I got some business to handle up in Crenshaw. Now I already told your brother to watch out for you."

"Dad, I don't need Julian to..."

"Yes you do, you don't know what to expect when you step through them doors."

"If you'd let me go my first year I'd know what to expect." I mutter.

"What you say?"

"Nothing Daddy." I traced my birthmark on my arm. Now that, that's the bad part of being a Phillips we all have this weird ass birthmark on our arm that's a shade lighter than our natural skin tone. The only one who doesn't have it is my mom, so people see those, and automatically know who we are. What's even weirder is the birthmark is always in a thick outlined boxed version of the first letter of our first name. Dad pulls up to the school, and I get out, but not before he wishes me good luck that I don't need. I walk to the office to get my schedule.

"Excuse me?" I call politely getting the front desk lady's attention.

"How can I help you baby?" She ask sweetly.

"I'm new I just wanted to get my schedule." I gave her my name, and she came back with my schedule, assigned books, and my locker combination. I shuffled through the halls trying to find my locker through the mass of bodies crowding the hall. One of said bodies rudely bumps me causing my books to fall out of my hand. Reluctantly I crouch to pick them up, a tattooed hand passes me by books. When I look up to thank the person my eyes meet a set of beautiful vibrantly bright brown eyes gazing into my dull dark brown ones.

"Thanks." I say standing up with him.

"No problem ma, always willing to help the ladies. You must be new here, name's Chris, and yours?" He reaches to shake my free hand.

"I'm Zahr..." My fingertips only touch his before I'm yanked away from Chris. I look to see my brother Julian, and his friends pulling me away.

"We got a problem Breezy?"Julian ask.

"None at all Jules.", How's he know my brother's gang name? "I was just helping her with her books."

"She don't need nothing from you. Let's go Zah." He slings his arm around me protectively walking us in the other direction.

"Stay away from him, that's Aaron Brown's kid." Shit that was the famous Breezy, the one that's gonna take over the Lords if anything ever happens to his dad. But he was so cute, I look back to see him still staring after me, then I stare at my hand to when is still tingling from just touching his fingertips. Wonder if he felt it too, nah I doubt it. Probably just my imagination.