His: Part 2

Author's Note: Another frequently asked question I get is about writing tips, so I've made two videos of writing tips for you guys on plot, character, and writing technique.

This week's comment is by LithiaAarti1! Thank you for the kind words :)

***

Elon's chair screeched as he scooted it back and dashed to her side. "Carissa—"

Once they were out of the house, Carissa slammed the door shut behind them. Elon was, under no circumstances, going back into that seductress' house. The cool air met Carissa's hot skin, and she huffed. Perhaps that'd been a bit dramatic, but she wasn't going to sit by while Rosalind wooed her husband and stole his heart.

But perhaps Carissa would have had a stronger claim on his heart had she given all to him—not only in heart and soul but in body as well. Guilt tore at her. No wonder Elon had radiated such attraction towards Rosalind. She was willing to offer what Carissa had denied him.

"Carissa." Elon grabbed her by the shoulders. "Why—"

The door swung open behind her. Carissa whirled around to face Rosalind and placed herself squarely in front of Elon.

Rosalind nibbled at her full lower lip, and Carissa hoped she'd sufficiently blocked Elon's view of her and vice versa. "Is something wrong?"

Carissa clenched her jaw, but didn't dignify the question with an answer. Rosalind knew exactly what she was doing, and her feigned ignorance wouldn't work on Carissa.

Rosalind closed the door behind them. "Perhaps we could speak privately."

Carissa turned towards Elon and waited until he understood that private meant only her and Rosalind.

His jaw tightened. "We're going to speak of this."

Indeed they would.

Elon spun and walked down the steps, his shoulders stiff. She'd never seen him angry at her before, but she couldn't bring herself to care. So long as Elon was away from Rosalind...

Carissa turned towards Rosalind.

Rosalind kneaded her apron between her delicate hands like dough. "Carissa, I know we weren't close friends before, but would you tell me why you're so distraught?"

Carissa snorted. Distraught was an understatement. "Rosalind, in case you hadn't noticed, my husband is gone now. You needn't maintain your pretty, dumb girl act."

Rosalind's lush lips parted. "I–I beg your pardon. I was simply being friendly."

Carissa clamped her hands into fists. "And you were quite friendly with all the other men I admired."

Rosalind shrugged. "It was cruel and immature of me, but it wasn't as if you were going to wed any of them. Everyone in Hasita knew you were supposedly betrothed to the King, but now you're married to... this man."

Rosalind could fish for information all she desired, but Carissa wasn't going to reveal anymore about Elon. "And I love 'that' man. He saved me even when it cost him. He waited for me even as I threw myself away. He touched me even when I wasn't good enough for the men in the jailhouse. And I'm not good enough for him either. I'll never be good enough, and I hate that, because he deserves better."

Carissa's breath hiccupped as sobs tickled her throat, but she choked them back. "He deserves someone who is as capable of loving him as he loves her, someone whose beauty hasn't been marred by darkness, someone whose purity matches his. And even you, Rosalind, are more worthy of him than I am. I understand why he'd want you over me."