Chapter 1 - Part 2

"Little Miss Perfect," he murmured, which made her frown at the nickname she had heard countless times. It was what people called her, but her life was anything but that. She was a cheerleader with a handsome boyfriend and a group of friends. People saw what they wanted to and not necessarily the truth.

If there weren't a void she was trying to fill, she wouldn't be standing on the edge of a cliff trying to feel something more than emptiness.

"Bad boy," she shot back. His mouth tipped up on the one side as he tried to suppress a smile.

"Touché."

They both had reputations, but the difference was he lived up to his.

"I have to go," she stated, looking briefly to the dusty path that had led her to this point. There was a lone daisy flower beside the path. She loved daisies. It was another part about being there, every now and then she would pick some daisies to take home.

She bent to touch the petals. It was so beautiful.

"I thought you were a roses-type of girl," Maddox noted.

"I hate thorns." She shrugged.

She stood and began to walk down the path, before noticing he was following silently behind.

"What are you doing?" She frowned, stopping to face him.

"What does it look like?" He gave her a chance to answer, but she refused. "I'm walking you back."

"That's really not necessary."

He shrugged dismissively and remained where he was. She let out a frustrated breath before she swung around to stomp away, but his annoying footsteps remained steady behind her no matter how fast she tried to walk to lose him. He was infuriating.

There was a chill in the air even though it was late afternoon, and it made her shiver. She felt a warmth envelop her, suddenly noticing that Maddox had draped his jacket over her shoulders. She stopped to turn and face him. She wasn't sure what to say but she held the sides of his leather jacket tighter to keep herself warm.

"Thanks," she mumbled, feeling overtaken with the small act. She wanted to hold on to her annoyance but it was more difficult now.

"You're welcome."

She continued the rest of the ten-minute walk in a subdued silence, fully aware of the proximity as he followed behind. Maddox Larson wasn't someone who disappeared into the background. He stood bold, demanding attention. When they walked out of the forest and the road lay before them, she recognized his beaten-up old Ford parked on the side. She took off his jacket to hand it back to him.

"Where's your car?" he asked, looking around, clearly noticing there wasn't another car parked nearby.

"I didn't bring it."

"Get in. I'll take you home."

She shook her head, not wanting to be in his company for a minute longer.

"That's really not necessary," she replied, as her house was only a short walk away.

"I insist," he said, refusing to take back his jacket. "It's getting dark."

"Chivalry will ruin your reputation," she remarked.

He smirked. "I promise not to tell if you don't."

She crossed her arms, feeling unsure of how to deal with him. He didn't seem to react in ways she expected him to.

"Get in," he repeated, this time opening the passenger door.