Bonnie Greer, Writer

Dear Son,

I hope this letter finds you well.

Your little sister recently baked her first cake.  It was a birthday cake for you.

She used one pound of flour. Half a pound of lump sugar.  Half a pound of currants, one gill of milk, four ounces of butter, one teaspoonful of carbonate soda, one egg.

She rubbed the butter into the flour. Then she added the milk and egg together. She put currants into the flour and mixed them before she added the milk. She mixed everything together and baked it at once in a moderate oven   for about thirty minutes.

The little drawing on this page  is of your birthday  cake . I know that the drawing is quite small but  your little brother likes miniatures.

Below it is your second gift: a line from your favourite book:  “Lord Greystoke, …Why he was sent, is, however, of little moment …”

It is very amusing  to see all of the old men here bent down working the land. They complain and complain. But they do the work and work well.

The Finty boy has joined up. He’s not old enough, but he’s very keen. He wants to do his bit and also have a great adventure , like you are having.

Your friend Grace   is studying to become a nurse with hopes to be sent to the front.  If so, I’m sure that you will see one another there. She has become very pretty with a fine singing voice. She is a stalwart of the choir.

I  hope that the socks I knitted are warm. A soldier  must always keep his feet dry, I am told.

The harvest will be fine.  Your father and I are  very busy .   This is my   second year and I have become very good with a plough and a horse!

Lord Kitchener’s posters are everywhere. I walk past them very quickly. I have a great deal of work to do and must get on.

Well, goodbye for now. Don’t forget to share your cake with the other lads!

Don’t forget  your socks, and  don’t forget your prayers!

I see you   most clearly when I pray.

Your loving mother who is counting the days,

.

--------------------------------------------

Feeling inspired? Write your own letter to the unknown soldier and join the 10,000+ people who have already contributed including Stephen Fry, Lee Child and Malorie Blackman.

Post your letter on your own Wattpad account with the tag #UnknownSoldier, and then upload it to our online memorial at www.1418NOW.org.uk/letter/new