one ; calm before storm

CHAPTER ONE
calm before storm

"there are some things you learn best in the calm, and some in the storm,"

Athena Grace stood in the woods.

The girl was dressed in dark combat gear, various knives attached to her waist. She sat perched on a tree trunk, a sharp throwing knife clasped in her hand.

She carved intricate designs onto the tree. Her hand carelessly grasping the cool blade as she carved small curves. Athena's hands gliding over the soft metal.

This was where Athena felt at home, the trees stretched out creating a canopy above her dark haired head. The trees seemed to whisper amongst themselves, quote conversations.

A low hum of the insects and occasionally crunch of a squirrel echoed in the undergrowth.

Absentmindedly Athena would hurl her knives at a tree for practise.

She was deadly accurate.

The knife twirled in her palm comfortably. It glided through her fingers, the metal feeling natural to Athena. Cool and sleek.

A crunch sounded from behind her. Instantly the knife flew from her hand.

It cut through the air with deadly precision, thudding into a tree centimetres away from a curly head.

"You missed," The boy smirked.

"Jacob! How many times have I told you not to sneak up on me!" Athena exclamation loudly.

The curly haired boy simply laughed, pulling her knife from the tree and twirling it around his fingers. Effortlessly the boy spun the knife on a curved angle at Athena. She plucked it out of the air with deadly precision.

She stood up and they embraced in a friendly manner.

"I don't miss, you're lucky I meant to throw it above you," Athena grinned cheekily.