14. Dasara & Student's Stories - Oct 1989

Dasara & Student’s Stories

October 1989

Prasanthi Nilayam

Dear All,

Dasara went off very grandly! I enjoyed everything, although by the 8th day I got a bit tired of sitting in the hall, and began to sit out in the wind.

The first day He started the puja as usual. Throughout the days He had the routine of coming in the morning, walking up the aisle and up the gent’s side almost to the end (of course, not coming to ladies – only the side – then going to the stage and sitting a few minutes, then going backstage for about 15-30 minutes, then coming to take arathi and going for good.

The yagna was shakti-full, very powerful. Daily it started at 7:15 AM and went till 11 AM. In the evenings there were talks by college/school boys then Swami’s Divine Discourse.

The boys filled their talks with stories, very enjoyable. In one story one boy told of how Swami was in Ooty or somewhere long ago. One bull was used to carry water up the hill every day, for Swami. When Swami left He made it a point to have the bull brought to Him. He stroked the bull affectionately, and whispered in its ear, “You’ve done good seva.”

Another time Swami stepped on a rock and it hurt Him. He limped painfully and the boys who were nearby were concerned. Swami told them, “See, I stepped on the rock on purpose, because it was so eager to have My Darshan!”

Another time Swami came up to some boys and asked “How many people have died?” They didn’t know what to answer! One boy answered that no one had died. Then Sai asked another one, “Out of so many boys, hasn’t even one died?” That one boy thought a few seconds and then said, “Swami, with You always with us and protecting us, nothing can ever happen to us.” Swami looked very touched and went away. Later He returned and said, “What I meant was, out of so many hasn’t even one boy lost body consciousness?” Later, the second boy whom He had asked was involved in a serious accident. He was critical and ready to die, all his insides smashed. When Swami heard this He rushed to the hospital and gave prasad to the boy. Today that boy is well and fit.

Another boy had some serious foot infection and was ordered bed rest in the hostel, unable to go to Darshan. For two days he moaned and cried, saying how he was so close to God but was unable to see Him. Then Swami, although no one had said anything to Him, ordered a rickshaw to go and bring that boy to Darshan! The boy was so happy. After a few days, there was a rickshaw strike! The boy missed only one Darshan then Swami sent a special rickshaw for him! Swami also sent word to the college for the boy to come in a rickshaw in the morning to school, have special meals there, and be brought back in the evening. Such is Swami’s concern!

Another time, Swami gave an interview to a few boys. He asked them, “Did you all have bath? Did you have breakfast, what did you eat?” I laughed to myself, remembering how Venkamma always asks me did I eat, what did I have, etc. I thought how it must run in the family (or culture, I guess!) to ask such seemingly non-spiritual questions. At that point, Swami turned to me and gave a long, loving look! Of course He caught my thought and was acknowledging it. Something about God/saints asking these food questions!

Swami did something I don’t remember Him doing in past years, and that is He gave vibhuti to some of the pundits who were doing the yagna. One pundit doing the pradakshina around the fire, was noticeable having trouble with his legs. Swami came two days, asked about his health, and gave vibhuti to him. The elderly pundit happily rubbed the vibhuti on his legs and head and ate the rest, and continued the yagna with new vigor. Swami also gave vibhuti to the ones doing the Ramayana recitation. The one Swami gave it to, distributed it to the others.