Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

“I- I- I,” she began stammering again.

“You- You- You what?” I spat.

Unable to speak, the woman spun on her heel and practically ran away from me.

Licking my lips, I turned back around and grabbed the shopping cart. I hated when people gave him credit for the kidnapping. I’m the one who planned everything! I let out a frustrated sigh. Speaking of planning… I need to remember to pack my special supplies for this weekend… Deep in thought, I shook my head and forced myself back into reality. Now, where did little Miss Perfect go?

After searching the store for ten minutes and calling Abriana’s new cell phone like six times, I finally checked out and headed toward the car.

With bags in my hands, my eyes scanned the parking lot. Finally, they landed on our car and a small body leaning against the back left the tire. Ohhh… Poor Abriana, I thought sarcastically. Someone hurt your feelings, again. Whatever will you do? Hmmm… Let me guess? Cry? A nefarious smile spread across my face. I can’t wait to see what you do this weekend when I finally finish you off!

Taking my time, I approached the car and my older sister. Once I got a few feet away, I let out a fake gasp. “Bri? I’ve been looking everywhere for you!”

Kneeling down next to her, I took her face in my hands. “Bri, it’s okay.”

“No it’s not,” she sobbed. “It’s never going to be okay!”

Dropping my hands from her face, I fought the urge to wrap my fingers around her neck. Instead, I grabbed her hands and gave them a gentle squeeze. “Yes, it will. I promise.”

Abriana looked into my eyes. “I don’t want to go this weekend.”

My heart almost stopped. “What?”

“I just want to stay home and never leave again,” she said, her voice cracking with emotion.

My knees dug into the pavement as my panic grew. Oh no! Think! Convince her she’s wrong! She has to go!

I gave her hands another squeeze. “Bri, you can’t let anyone else decide how you live your life!”

“Seriously, Lex?” she snapped pulling her hands away from mine. “Easton took that decision away from me with very little effort. Who’s not to say someone else isn’t going to do it again!”

Trying to remain calm, I took a deep breath in and slowly let it out. “Why don’t we go home and you can rest for a bit. Then, in a few hours, we’ll reassess how you’re feeling.”

Abriana reached out and grabbed my shoulders. “I’m so sorry, Lex! I shouldn’t have taken this out on you. None of this is your fault.”

A smile tugged at the corner of my lips. “It’s okay, Bri. I’ll always be here for you, no matter what happens.” I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her tightly. Correction, I’ll always be here for you, until I kill you.

***

After the little crybaby finally fell asleep, I checked on my parents, and then headed back to the car.

Oops, I thought turning around and going back through the front door. I pulled my cell phone out of my back pocket and switched it to silent. I opened the closet door and shoved it in an old winter boot. There, no one will find it there and now no one can track me!

Stepping outside for the second time that night, dusk had settled and streaks of purple and red shot across the sky. I slung the bag containing a waterproof flashlight, a pair of goggles, a fluffy towel, and several plastic bags over my shoulder.