Visitors

A week has gone by and me and Race have been pretty discreet in front of Jack. We wouldn't even go near each other when Jack was in the room. We would only catch up either when we were selling or late at night on the rooftop. It's been going better than I thought. I was sellin my papes on a normal day. I only had one paper left before I was done for the day. I was sitting in my normal alley way waiting for the people to walk by. I was freezing though. It was really windy, and it sucks when you have a shorter skirt in the fall. I see a shadow of a newsie walking into the alley way. Assuming it's Race I stand up, but as the shadow moved forward it revealed who it was.

"Sly?" I ask in shock. A smile grew on Sly's face.

"I thought you said we's would see each other again." He protest.

"Well I don't think you are very aware of the fact that i'm technically on house arrest until i'm 16." I say walking over to Sly as I put my last paper in my bag.

"Awww, wittle Kenny isn't allowed to leave Manhattan?" He sarcastically pouts. I punch his shoulder as he let's out a laugh. "Ow." he says.

"How old are you any ways?" He ask rubbing his shoulder.

"I'm 15, and it's only a few months until i'm 16." I say sitting back down and holding the bottom of the bench and gluing my legs together to keep me warm. It was really windy at this hour.

"Really? I thought you was at least 16 in a half." He says.

"16 in a half? What does that even mean?" I ask as we laugh.

"Well it's just, you seem so independent and brave. You wouldn't think you're that young ya know?" He says sitting next to me.

"Good point." I say looking at the building in front of us.

"How old's your boyfriend?" Sly ask. I turn my head at him. Why is he asking questions about my boyfriend?

"Race?" I ask unsure.

"Yea. Unless you have multiple then..." Sly says sarcastically. I slap his arm with the back of my hand as he snickers.

"He's 17."

"Ooooo, Kenny likes older guys?" Sly teases.

"How many times do I have to slap you today?" I ask. Sly laughs as puts one arm on top of the back rest of the bench and the other resting on the arm rest.

"So I'm guessing your brother didn't take the whole running away situation so well?" Sly ask getting serious.

"Nope." I sigh. "He won't even let me see Race anymore." I say. Sly's face went red.

"Wait- You's and Race is over?" He stutters

"No!" I quickly answer. "We's is just secretly dating now."

"How's that been goin?" he ask concerned. It seemed like Sly actually cared for me. Even though we barely knew each other.

"Good surprisingly." I say slowly nodding my head.

"Hey uh... can we talk about that uh... kiss." Sly says. My head shoots up at him.

"What kiss?" I asked freaking out. If i remember correctly I didn't kiss him.

"Not a kiss, but that... almost kiss... remember?" Sly says trying to prevent me from freaking out.

"Oh... yea. Well, Sly, I'm sorry but... you know that didn't mean anything to me... right?" I ask gently. 

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you know... I have a boyfriend. I only see you as a... friend." I say awkwardly. I felt a little sorry for him. Did Sly like me like that?